Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yup. Haven't priced ERC110 but it was $8 a gal. at Bonneville last year.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
what's up with my old stand-by cam2. used to be across the street from the track. you always have the local dope ung-man. hope it's still available a little closer to home as a back-up. have a head and squish which won't take kindly to pretender gas.
-parks
ps...glad i don't have too many cc.s to feed all summer long. those super heavyweight/ big bike dudes must suffer more than us punice runners.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cam 2 is no more. Pump gas at NHIS is the crap nascrap is mandated to run. Bad for 2smokes. Time to buy real gas.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
While we are on the fuel subject.I have 4 gal. of VP red left over from last season.Stored in a five gal. can.Its been stored in an out building.No heat dry 95% of the time.Should I use this for racing ? a track day? or to mow the lawn?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would race with it. Is it in a sealed metal can, or plastic? Metal cans retain the fuel better than plastic, the plastic does allow some vapors to escape, which is why stickers don't stay on plastic gas cans forever. I've been told by the VP folks that their products do store well in metal cans though...

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
BTW, I paid $8.40/gallon for C12 up here in VT last month.

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Wolf,
I've used VP left over from previous years plenty of times. Long as the can had the top screwed on it should be fine.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If it's in the VP can should be fine. If it whooses when you crack the cap you know it's been properly sealed. Used to run my trailer generator on C12 rather than carry another can, guess couldn't afford that today.

Have any of you guys ever ran like U4 or any other of their oxygenated fuels? My dirtbike shop guy was always hammering me to run it when I had four-stroke dirtbikes. Didn't want to hassle with it for play riding, but I'm sure there's some horsepowers in those cans.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
well i just checked my local supplier of cam2 and can get it for 6/gal. but it's going up to 10+ in a week and a half. may have to find a metal can with a screw top to fill for the season's load. i really hate financing that nastiest of hate groups.
-parks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
this is probabley a really dumb question but is c12 's octane rating 112? and is it a no-lead?
-parks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
thanks for the feed back, next weekend just got a little cheaper. It's still in the VP can and I think I'll go out and see if it burps. 5-4-3-2-1
lonewolf

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
C12 is a leaded, 108 octane fuel.

I've wanted to try U4 but didn't want to deal with the hassles of an oxygenated fuel.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I always got a kick out of the octane question. Yes it is a # but the mixture of the fuel is more important.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Octane ratingis important if you are running a lot of compression. But as in aero gas the higher the octane the slower the burn. You need the correct mixture of high octane and quick burn, no detonation, etc. I run C12 and have run ERC110 in my motor which is 14:1 comp. and never had a problem. Plus I've used leftover fuel with no problem. Don't know if your race organisations have fuel regulations (i.e. gas definiton) but with the SCTA none of the oxygenated fuels will pass their test for gas compliance.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Here's my super simple way of understanding fuels;

Crude oil is made up of both light and heavy elements. The light elements make horsepower. They pave streets with the really heavy elements. Always look at a fuel's specific gravity number, a lighter fuel will make more power.

Octane is an anti-knock number, actually resistance to burn. Run the lowest octane fuel your motor won't detonate on. The difference between a quality fuel like VP and cheaper fuels with similar octane ratings is that the cheaper fuels are blended with more heavy elements to get the octane number up. I have pulled circle track motors down that I've ran on cheap fuel and the intake tracts, back of the intake valves are almost gooey. Of course the octane number's up there, the stuff won't burn.

That's all I know.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
u4 is no more johnny b. you couldnt get it last year. the new closest ting is u4.2

ive never been able to figure out what the difference is and theres nothing in the vp site about it.

jc

1 - 20 of 47 Posts