Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I've been talking about starting racing for years but never actually taking any steps to do it. Over many beers on new year's eve, some buddies and I developed a plan. What's surprising was that the next day, once the hangovers subsided, everyone remembered talking about it and was still enthusiastic.
So it looks like the four of us are going to pool our resources and do some AHRMA Novice Historic Production lightweight racing this year. We'll be running a CB350. None of us have any motorcycle racing experience, but between us we have just about everything we'll need including lots of mechanical experience and knowledge. We're all serious members of the antique Jap bike underground around here and we know a lot of old guys who raced in their younger days, so we have a lot of resources. Plus, I'm 5'7", 140 lbs. so I'll at least be competitive in the HP-to-weight area.
Gonna start scrutinizing the rule book and building up the bike tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool!! I don't have that much experience either but will also be racing with AHRMA in the same class this year. I'll either be on a 72 CB350 or a 72 RD250. Still not sure. Anyway, where are you guys located? Have you figured out which races you were wanting to run?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool!! I don't have that much experience either but will also be racing with AHRMA in the same class this year. I'll either be on a 72 CB350 or a 72 RD250. Still not sure. Anyway, where are you guys located? Have you figured out which races you were wanting to run?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the board. We're in central Illinois. Small town called Bellflower near Champaign-Urbana. How about you? We haven't looked at the schedule too hard yet, but I imagine that we'll be trying to run in every race that is within realistic driving distance from us. It's funny, our options for bikes are also a CB350 or RD250. I think the RDs we have available don't meet the cutoff date, though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the CB would be a more competitive machine. Wht do you think?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the board. We're in central Illinois. Small town called Bellflower near Champaign-Urbana. How about you? We haven't looked at the schedule too hard yet, but I imagine that we'll be trying to run in every race that is within realistic driving distance from us. It's funny, our options for bikes are also a CB350 or RD250. I think the RDs we have available don't meet the cutoff date, though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the CB would be a more competitive machine. Wht do you think?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Sid and Alex,
I would recommend that you look at both AHRMA and WERA. Given your locations, you will find plenty of WERA races close to you, too. Either the RD or CB are good choices. I would advise you to make as few modifications as possible to stat with. I would send money on tires and suspension and entry fees, before I looked at any engine mods. Initially, the bike will be faster than you are.

I will probably be at the AHRMA Road America event and the Mid-Ohio AMA/WERA event. See you at the track.
Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Sid and Alex,
I would recommend that you look at both AHRMA and WERA. Given your locations, you will find plenty of WERA races close to you, too. Either the RD or CB are good choices. I would advise you to make as few modifications as possible to stat with. I would send money on tires and suspension and entry fees, before I looked at any engine mods. Initially, the bike will be faster than you are.

I will probably be at the AHRMA Road America event and the Mid-Ohio AMA/WERA event. See you at the track.
Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Royal Oak, MI. I'm about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. My plans are to try and make RA and Grattan or Bluegrass. If the budget will allow it, Barber would be awesome. I've been corresponding with a guy about his RD250 and am very interested. Not that I'm looking to run up front or anything but my first thought was that the 2-stroke would probably be more competitive than the 4 stroke. After doing a little research, I believe that they are very close to equal. With that said, I'm leaning a little towards the CB350, mostly because it's already in the garage. Keep in touch and I hope to meet up with you at the track this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Royal Oak, MI. I'm about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. My plans are to try and make RA and Grattan or Bluegrass. If the budget will allow it, Barber would be awesome. I've been corresponding with a guy about his RD250 and am very interested. Not that I'm looking to run up front or anything but my first thought was that the 2-stroke would probably be more competitive than the 4 stroke. After doing a little research, I believe that they are very close to equal. With that said, I'm leaning a little towards the CB350, mostly because it's already in the garage. Keep in touch and I hope to meet up with you at the track this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Sid and Alex,

Ken
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the good advice. If I stick with the CB, what tires do you recommend? And as far as suspension goes what can I do to make them better? Install proper springs for my weight? Refresh fluids? If I were to have them professionally looked at, who do most people go to? I will look into WERA as well. Hope to see you at the track!

·
Registered
7 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Sid and Alex,

Ken
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the good advice. If I stick with the CB, what tires do you recommend? And as far as suspension goes what can I do to make them better? Install proper springs for my weight? Refresh fluids? If I were to have them professionally looked at, who do most people go to? I will look into WERA as well. Hope to see you at the track!

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Alex,
I like Avons but some like Dunlops better. As far as suspension goes I would replace the fork seals and oil and springs. Replace the rear shocks with something better, Ikon, Hagon, Progressive, Works, or Ohlins, depending on your budget. I would not recommend a professional for this job. Learn to do it yurself or you will never be able to afford racing. Judeyramone on here lives in your neighborhood and is supposedly building a CB350 racebike, too.

Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Alex,
I like Avons but some like Dunlops better. As far as suspension goes I would replace the fork seals and oil and springs. Replace the rear shocks with something better, Ikon, Hagon, Progressive, Works, or Ohlins, depending on your budget. I would not recommend a professional for this job. Learn to do it yurself or you will never be able to afford racing. Judeyramone on here lives in your neighborhood and is supposedly building a CB350 racebike, too.

Ken

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Welcome to the racing scene. Welcome to the board - I hope you filled out your bio or texy will be around shortly to harangue you about it :)

Highest Quality safety gear you can afford
Good Brakes
Good tires
Good motor
Good on track awareness
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Welcome to the racing scene. Welcome to the board - I hope you filled out your bio or texy will be around shortly to harangue you about it :)

Highest Quality safety gear you can afford
Good Brakes
Good tires
Good motor
Good on track awareness
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Pour salt in my open wounds, Ken. I just got a bit of a job, so I'm moving forward, albeit slowly. Don't forget I am paying for college too... No trust fund baby, me. Patience; It'll happen. You of all people must surely understand why I'm going to college, to free up my summers to race.

Although unemployment works wonders for Pell grants.

Welcome aboard new guy (too lazy to scroll down to see your name). I'm in Brighton, catboy is too, sometimes, and Sic Semper Tyranus is in RO & working on his own race project.
Post pics. I'm a photo junkie.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Pour salt in my open wounds, Ken. I just got a bit of a job, so I'm moving forward, albeit slowly. Don't forget I am paying for college too... No trust fund baby, me. Patience; It'll happen. You of all people must surely understand why I'm going to college, to free up my summers to race.

Although unemployment works wonders for Pell grants.

Welcome aboard new guy (too lazy to scroll down to see your name). I'm in Brighton, catboy is too, sometimes, and Sic Semper Tyranus is in RO & working on his own race project.
Post pics. I'm a photo junkie.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
so whiskey, at 5'7 and 140lbs i guess that makes you short and fat.....(duck).

tex (6'1" and 135lbs CB350 racer) mawby

see you fellahs at mid-o. it isn't an ahmra event anymore....well it never really was unless you give them credit for doing the timing and scoring (like wera did last year)....but it is the home of great racing, good people, a HUGE ASS swap meet, and beertopia 2010!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
so whiskey, at 5'7 and 140lbs i guess that makes you short and fat.....(duck).

tex (6'1" and 135lbs CB350 racer) mawby

see you fellahs at mid-o. it isn't an ahmra event anymore....well it never really was unless you give them credit for doing the timing and scoring (like wera did last year)....but it is the home of great racing, good people, a HUGE ASS swap meet, and beertopia 2010!

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Judey,
Nice try, but you should have plenty of time to get the bike together since you don't have to go to work. You should have the race frame as a rolling chassis, by now. Just put some tires on it. The forks are completely rebuilt and the shocks are still good. The motor runs in the Gold bike, too.

Ken

1 - 20 of 51 Posts