Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone catch the americas cup races???

jc

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yeah. I thought I saw one guy sticking his knee out as the boat rounded a bouy.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I caught a bit a few days ago, channel surfing. Couldn't convince my wife to let me watch. Yachting has got to be the dullest sport to wattch on TV ever invented... and I'm a sailor. Doing it in person, however, is another matter entirely.

·
Registered
569 Posts
yeah great races, but I agree, if you don't know what's going on , it's almost as interesting as watching submarine races...having raced Flying Scots for years I enjoyed it..3 spinnakers up at once...talk about your bad day..

dch.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i watched the last one too. and the vuitton cup races too. new zealand should have had the cup in hand a few times. watching that sheet fly in the wind off the top of the mast was insane. such a luxury to be able to just chop the halyard and go. the poor bowman almost went into the drink. and the 2nd round he did but somehow managed to pull himself back onto the boat. if you saw the last round, 2 seconds was the split at the line. i was even on the edge of my seat. crazy. watching the wind shift and the sail change just yards from the stripe. and the tack sets were great to watch. yeah, if youve never done it, or sailed, or dont know whats happening, its like anything else. but if youve done any sailing at all, just the way those boats will point is crazy. you cant do that with most boats. and the speed is crazy. fantastic racing. and good for the swiss. (if you can call them that) i was cheering for italy last year. ya gotta love a red boat.

jc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts