Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I went to look at a collection of old photographs today from a friend that does Architectual Salvage. Got them from a photographers studio.

Lots of Carte D'visites and early tin types. Few glass negatives. Stuff I like but nobody here would really care about.

But then I get to the bottom. Lots of 1950's pinups and nudes, lots of real 1950s hot rod pics and many bike and car pics going back to the 1920s. There is a really neat print (may be a reprint from an original negative it is so nice) of a guy standing between a harley WL street bike and an Indian race bike. Looks like the Hot rod and bike stuff was from around the Ct area as most of this stuff seems to come from there as well.

There were also a lot of airmail stamps from the 20's to the 50's and TWA correspondence from about 1955 or so. lots of locomotive pics also. I also got an A&P manual out of the deal for a 1940 P40 Warhawk. All in all looks like a great score.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are worthless without pics.

I'll get some tonight. I have been itching to try out the scanner on the new doc center , but be warned, some of these pics are too fragile for scanning.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Geeto,

Not to bust on you,just curious, but how can a print be too fragile for scanning, unless you are using a drum scanner?

Some times old landscapes and vehicle photos have some real value. Pictures of people not much, unless they are notable.

I think you are holding out and making an excuse not to show catboy those pinups!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, I had to go to work and they are sitting in the trunk of my car till I get home. I'll scan some of the prints when I get home if I feel they are ok. Some of the Silver Gelatin and Albumen prints are already washed out so if I am not careful all I will have left is a blank piece of cardboard.

If you have a scanner/photocopier like the modern docucenters have the bight light they use is too much for some of the albumen prints and can wash them out fairly quickly. Old kodachrome color is like this also and if you are not careful all you end up with in the end is a bunch of red prints.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the first three are new prints made off of the old negatives. Not great stuff but bike stuff none the less. There are a few more in the series.

The contact sheet of the girl in the swim suit is early to mid 1960s. Not nearly as interesting as the bare breasted pin up posters (which are too large for the scanner) or some of the other art shots (which are 1940's and 50s and really fragile).

interestingly enough in the box was a notarized accident report of the USS Shenandoah zepplin, including a piece of fabric from the outter skin. Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so I turned over the photos to my mother, who is a professor of photography and an avid collector, for cataloging and archiving. After that I will post more. I went to go meet my father today and he gave me something out of the stash he thought I would like to frame - a 1932 Ford V-8 owners manual and the original registration card that expired in 1934. I am pretty sure if this car's vin is no longer active I can actually use this card to register a 1932 ford.....hmmmmmmmm.....to frame or to use....such is the conundrums of life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts