Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like rain for the weekend. My trailer is open with a mesh floor.
Any advice on what I should try to cover up on the Honda 350 and MB5 to prevent water problems? I thought about trying to find two gaint plastic bags, like for a mattress, but not sure where to even look.

Maybe I should just try to fit one in the Grand Caravan--think it will fit?

Its a 5 hour drive.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rain definately sucks when towing race bikes in an open trailer. After the races you can pretty much plan on take the front and rear brake apart to get the water out before it rusts. It blows water in very tiny crevise.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i'd take branson's advice on any brake issue. that said, my bike is more wet than dry and the only thing i do is try to keep the intake dry...and i can't always manage that, so i almost always drain the bowls if i've hauled in rain or heavy condensation. i've always counted on friction and the resulting heat to take care of my brake?

-tt

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The brakes are funny...I've seen some rust to shit in one tow, or race in the rain...others it doesn't seem to bother so much. It does appear to me that you don't want a close tolerance brake with race linings to get wet and dry on it's own....just a small layer of rust on the drum plays hell with them, they get very very touchy. D
Depends a lot on them time of the year, humidity etc.

Same with the carbs....I've seen some bike start right up after a tow in the rain...I've seen others that end up with a crankcase full of water, water in the float bowls, water in the fuel tank.

I bet a lot has to do with what you are towing it behind etc.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided just to load the bikes in the back of the caravan--went and bought an 8' plank for a ramp and loaded the 350 alone.

My only concern are the gas fumes from the tanks and cans.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i got a sheet of aluminum from a local heavy truck bodyshop, it's part of the box on a wrecked box truck. i riveted it along the edges and in the middle and also used heavy duty silicone like they use to fatsen this stuff together on the truck. took care of the problem of crap coming up through the floor of my lowes 5x8 trailer.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
samara and i rented a minivan from enterprise and stuffed a derbi, reiju, and a yamaha sr plus all of our race gear, etc....

i got a picture of it here somewhere. it pretty funny shit.

two bikes shouldn't be a problem.

cheers!

texy

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 350 and MB5 loaded in the minivan and secured as best I can. They shouldn't fall over. The only thing that bothers me is the gas smell. There is only a little in each tank. I am hoping to fill my can there, and maybe buy some 2 stroke mix off another rider.

Hopefully some guys can help me load/unload at the Roof and the track. the 50 is easy, but the 350 is heavy, especially when you can't get any leverage on it bent over in the back of the van.

See you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
quote:
I have the 350 and MB5 loaded in the minivan and secured as best I can. They shouldn't fall over. The only thing that bothers me is the gas smell. There is only a little in each tank. I am hoping to fill my can there, and maybe buy some 2 stroke mix off another rider.

Hopefully some guys can help me load/unload at the Roof and the track. the 50 is easy, but the 350 is heavy, especially when you can't get any leverage on it bent over in the back of the van.

See you all tomorrow.
Jack- Evil will help you.Larry

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Thanks, Larry. I have a hernia.

Jack, to get rid of the gas smell, you have to FILL your tanks. It's the void in the tank with a small amount of gas in it that creates vapors which cause the stink. Regardless, you just get used to it. If you're gonna race, you get used to it.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I was kidding. . . . shheeesh. pulling a leg, you know? Printer's lice . . . .etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts