Cafe Racer Forum banner

Raising rear end

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  TonyDanger 
#1 ·
I want to raise the rear end of my cb500 up a bit as it feels really low compared to the front end, especially considering I'm going to be losing a bit of seat height when putting on a fiberglass tail. What is the best way to go about doing this? Just simply get taller shocks?

If thats the case what shocks are gonna work? I've been looking at Ikon shocks, but their list for stock size replacement. Will a 750 shock fit, or something comperable?

Thanks,
Tony

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm not trying to raise it a bunch, just a little to make up for the lower seat when I put it on. I'll take a look a chain play when I get home in a few days.

Is it generally considered dumb to raise the rear?

#5 ·
XD You're killin me here!

Okay, I'll leave the height alone for now if it really gets that twitchy. Geet already made a mention about the bikes being unstable with modern sport tires on them, didn't realize they'd get bad with a little raised tail (there ya go!).

#6 ·
Tony, it is a non ribbed fornt tire that makes the head shake on deceleration. That and worn out neck bearings.

Honestly, raise the rear it will be fine. Most of my cb750s are jacked up atleast an inch in back. yes it does sharpen the steering but if you are that worried about it put a steering dampner on the bike, I find it only gets really dangerous at an inch and a half or more.

I can't remember if cb500/550 shocks are 12 or 13 inches. If they are 12 then a set for a cb750 (13") should work for you. If they are 13 then a set for the DOHC cb750s are just the ticket (14"). Also be careful of the shocks you buy and whether you are running a gard or not. Hagons, and progressives are usually a good cheap choice. If you can find them really cheap a set of DOHC cb750 cb900F stock shocks might work for you but remember they are 30 year old stock shocks.

#7 ·
Thanks Geeto, thats what I wanted to hear. I'll take a look at what size they are when I get home. Looking just just buy new shocks all together.
Ikon has the 7610 series that I was looking at. About $350, but they are rebuildable and many people seem to have had good luck with them.

I'll probably only ride the cb around in the sunny weather as I have a DRZ for the crappy stuff, however it is Seattle and everything gets ridden in the rain eventually...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.