Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my rant on the NY DMV. Bike in question is a 73 CB350 that was registered in Vermont, so has no title (vermont law)

To make sure everything goes smoothly i give them a call 2 months ago. They ensure that all i need is a copy of the VT registration and a bill of sale. I asked notarized, and they say no. total time on phone 1 hr

I go to DMV, and they state that i need a notarized bill of sale. ok no biggie, i get a notarized bill of sale. I ask if i need anything else, they said no you are good, just a notarized bill of sale. you are good with all your other documents. total time spent on this 3 hrs.

Today i finally go to the DMV and they now require a fiving letter from the VT DMV stating that they don't have a title for the bike. VT DMV states that they dont do that since they have a bulletin stating that they dont title 15 year or older bikes. total time spent here..another 3 hrs.

anyhow heres to another run around by the ever so gracious dmv...:(

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I hear you! Good luck. This is one reason I don't mess around with bikes newer than '72.

Let us know how it works out. Maybe if you brought your paperwork to a small, friendly DMV upstate it would go better. The folks at the dmv here are quite helpful.

What is a "fiving letter"?

·
Registered
204 Posts
"We're from the Government. We're here to help"
I am about to go through the same thing, although i have a title. A title and a bunch of blank checks is all they are concerned with here in illinois.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fiving letter = work safe way of saying something with uck in it.

menh getting upstate would be an entire days worth of work....

this is why living in Manhattan sucks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
While the problems you faced are systemic, I think your biggest issue is probably the person working behind the counter at your particular DMV office. Try another window, speak with a supervisor, or go to another DMV for better service. I recently registered my '71 CB350K3 in New York (out of state titled as a '72 - it was common practice at the time to title it the year it was first put on the road) without any trouble. The lady at the DMV even remarked that I saved $50 because NY didn't start issuing titles until '73 and therefore they wouldn't issue me a new title for my bike, hence the savings. I was informed that my registration is transferable to the next owner (assuming I ever sell it to another NY resident) and that a bill of sale is all that was needed to transfer ownership should I ever desire to sell the bike.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I recently registered one of my 69 cb750 in NY. It had a NH title which they took and gave me just a NY registration. Some how I felt like I left with less than I walked in with. I can only imagine the fun I'm going to have when I got to register my other 69 which I don't have much paper work for. I have a handwritten bill of sale from a guy in Mass for this bike but I'm not sure what the NY DMV is going to think about it????

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Bob,

If you follow the rules you should not have much trouble with the 69. You will need to have the bike weighed on a "registered" scale, a photo or rubbing of the vin, the sales tax form, the bill of sale from the Mass guy, plus a filled out "statement of facts" form-available from dmv. It would be better yet if you had some paper work from the previous owner that showed he owned the bike in Mass--old registration, bill of sale , etc. Oh, you will need an insurance card too.

I have done this twice with old bikes, had my papers in order and walked out with a plate and NON transferable registration. A transferable reg came in the mail a couple weeks later. Hopefully it will continue to be this easy as I have 3 more old bikes with no papers I eventually need to get taken care of.

With a 1973 or newer bike it is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY, and much more difficult. I would just pay for and use on the the title services.

The weight thing is really stupid to me. I took in the original owners manual that had the weight listed, but no, not good enough. So I took it to the scale place and they gave me a slip that said 140 + or - ten pounds, the limit of their scale. The owners manual said 143...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts