Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my RD400 street bike, is it better to keep the oil injection system or just run premix? When on a multi-fill up ride, do I just keep a little oil with me? How accurate does the mix need to be?

--thanks, chris

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
oil injection

Ken

·
Registered
585 Posts
+1 Injection is best. It is tricky to get the mix right at the pump, so you always either have too much oil (and are smoking like a dog), or too little and are quickly eroding your motor.

Yes, injection means haveing an oil tank, and for some of these cafe nutballers, an oil tank is too ugly for their bikes.... Just keep the injection. If it is too ugly for you either drive something else or figure it out.

Peace and grease.
-fang

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you injection guys aren't living the 2 stroke experience. do the math, bring along your oil, and do it at the pump. plus your fingers will smell like your tail pipe.
-parks
ps. your bike will be more handsome too.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have been considering this... running premix in a RD400 changes the air/fuel ratio so @ 32:1 premix, does it make sense to start with a 3% larger jet (as the oil qty in the fuel does not count as "fuel" in the ratio) ?

Is anyone running premix with carb mods out there?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have been considering this... running premix in a RD400 changes the air/fuel ratio so @ 32:1 premix, does it make sense to start with a 3% larger jet (as the oil qty in the fuel does not count as "fuel" in the ratio) ?

Is anyone running premix with carb mods out there?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Please, I'm not trying to start anything. I am somewhat puzzled at the people that always want to run pre-mix over a perfectly good injection system. I had a friend who was considering this years ago on his old RD350. He was afraid of the pump breaking down. I was scratching my head then too. The pump isn't a high stress part, and when have you ever worried about an oil pump failure in your car. Not likely, but that could happen too. I loved having oil injection on my 72 Suzuki T250J. It had problems , but oil injection wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Please, I'm not trying to start anything. I am somewhat puzzled at the people that always want to run pre-mix over a perfectly good injection system. I had a friend who was considering this years ago on his old RD350. He was afraid of the pump breaking down. I was scratching my head then too. The pump isn't a high stress part, and when have you ever worried about an oil pump failure in your car. Not likely, but that could happen too. I loved having oil injection on my 72 Suzuki T250J. It had problems , but oil injection wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For my cafe RD project, I want to relocate the battery and a "small" oil injection tank to under the seat cowl at the rear, leaving the entire center frame area clean and open.
As what ever I come up with for a reservoir will be very small, I was just curious about eliminating it all together. Reliability of the injection system was never a concern.

If you take a look at the photo link, I certainly do not want an oil tank and battery hanging is space below the seat like this guy did:

http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com/uploads/images/1002433021.jpg

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For my cafe RD project, I want to relocate the battery and a "small" oil injection tank to under the seat cowl at the rear, leaving the entire center frame area clean and open.
As what ever I come up with for a reservoir will be very small, I was just curious about eliminating it all together. Reliability of the injection system was never a concern.

If you take a look at the photo link, I certainly do not want an oil tank and battery hanging is space below the seat like this guy did:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There is no doubt that keeping the pump is the only smart thing to do. OK so I'm biased and after years of riding two strokes, I have no issues in mixing fuel for my race bikes, but on the street with modern E-Gas. Now way Jose.

There are any number of smart ways of hiding an oil tank. For example I had a fiberglass tank on one of my Triumph twins with the oil tank in the back section of the fuel tank. That idea could be adapted.

Or fit a thin tank between the frame rails under the seat.

Or fit it in the seat hump a la TD3/TR3 race bikes.

Or get a small tank from US Plastics corp and fit it vertically behind the filters or against the rear fender or mount it like an A1R.

All it takes is some ingenuity.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There is no doubt that keeping the pump is the only smart thing to do. OK so I'm biased and after years of riding two strokes, I have no issues in mixing fuel for my race bikes, but on the street with modern E-Gas. Now way Jose.

There are any number of smart ways of hiding an oil tank. For example I had a fiberglass tank on one of my Triumph twins with the oil tank in the back section of the fuel tank. That idea could be adapted.

Or fit a thin tank between the frame rails under the seat.

Or fit it in the seat hump a la TD3/TR3 race bikes.

Or get a small tank from US Plastics corp and fit it vertically behind the filters or against the rear fender or mount it like an A1R.

All it takes is some ingenuity.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dean

Not to hate on somebody's project, but please don't model your bike after that one. There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to start. But, if you were to get a flat plastic tank you could mount it between the upper frame rails. That bike has the seat just perched on the frame rails and looks stupid. The tail section is the wrong shape to match that RD400 tank. The seat should cover the frame rails and would help hide an oil tank, too.

Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dean

Not to hate on somebody's project, but please don't model your bike after that one. There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to start. But, if you were to get a flat plastic tank you could mount it between the upper frame rails. That bike has the seat just perched on the frame rails and looks stupid. The tail section is the wrong shape to match that RD400 tank. The seat should cover the frame rails and would help hide an oil tank, too.

Ken

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Agreed ! The example pic was just to show what I did not like about a exposed battery and oil tank. I will get some pics up in the build section as I get something mocked up to see how the lines will work on my RD( will be seeking some honest constructive feedback~!)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Agreed ! The example pic was just to show what I did not like about a exposed battery and oil tank. I will get some pics up in the build section as I get something mocked up to see how the lines will work on my RD( will be seeking some honest constructive feedback~!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts