Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a spec of dirt on my front tyre yestereday so i figured it was time for a full strip and restoration..

last night..

this morning..

tonight..

im actually putting the RD back to near stock conditon, ive got nos genuine mudguards and lots of other goodies ive been collecting for the past year.. why stock condition? because ive got a TZ lookalike project arriving shortly so that will be my 'special' build [8D]

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frame powdercoated in low gloss black

just waiting for a few parts coming back from platers then i can start fitting shiny bits, my sons on with polishing the front forks, he's out of work at mo so im helping him out by paying him to work on various parts, ive yet to repair my swing arm before i can get it powdercoated..

·
Registered
830 Posts
I flatly refuse to view your resto thread any further until you provide a link or photo of Sophie's naked busom. You're focusing on the wrong project, man! Dozens are waiting!

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it aint gonna happen pal, ive been dying to see em for ten years!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Just curious - what does it cost you to get a frame powder coated over there??? Dido on Sophie's photo - maybe she would like to be on the new cafe racer's calendar for 2012...

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thats not a bad idea re sophie, i will definately ask her, but i know she wouldnt pose topless,

cost for blasting then powdercaoting a frame is £70.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That's like under 100 dollars US - your kidding... The best pricing I've got here is like 500 US...It cost that much to sandblast and rattle can the frame.

I forgot to add - Sophie's picture would be on every month, we would just have to figure out how to photo-shop her picture with a different bike for each month..

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for a frame, swing arm and yolkes (triple trees) the cost is £95, that includes blasting and masking off threads. i get it done locally, 2miles away, i take my parts on monday and pick them up tuesday.

ive asked sophie, she says no sorry, mainly because of her husband, she darent ask him and he would 'kick off' if she did it behind his back and he found out.. but no fear boys, i can model for ya :)

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

That's like under 100 dollars US - your kidding... The best pricing I've got here is like 500 US...It cost that much to sandblast and rattle can the frame.

I forgot to add - Sophie's picture would be on every month, we would just have to figure out how to photo-shop her picture with a different bike for each month..
If you are looking for powerdercoating i have a guy that does mine
he is in the poconons
good prices and nice work.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I want to hear more about this TZ lookalike.
il post pics when i get it, its in boxes and has been for many years, when i sat TZ lookalike, dont expect anything special, it has an RD350 engine, what i think is a genuine TZ tank and tail, i havent seen it for at least ten years , its in a friends attick at moment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My powdercoater charges $150 US for blasting and coating, frame + swingarm, standard black. Other items in different colors cost slightly more than black. The problem is, two-week turnaround.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
carbs vapour blasted then ultrasonically cleaned and parts rezinced,

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
The re zinking that you get do is beautiful

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Jesus, I hate you guys!!!! Finding paces to get stuff like that done around me is like finding topless pics of Sophie, they don't exist. I'm sure they do in Philly but I have no idea where to look.

I've thought about getting a project that I can take my time on and just do shit to over a period of time so I could learn as I go (thats the most intiguing part for me), but more frustrating is that we don't have people that do that stuff around here. Christ, I was looking for box rail last week to do a sliding chalkboard for our bar at the bistro and people looked at me like I was from Mars. Unless you can get it at Target or Lowes you can't get it in Wilmington.

Nonetheless, Tony, that looks awesome!!!

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah im pretty lucky here, everything i need is within 30 minutes drive, im having some barrels rebored 2moro, il drive 18 miles, drop the barrels of at the engineers, go for a coffee on the seafront then pick the barrels up later in the day all done, the chromers and zinc platers and vapour blaster all share the same building just 28 miles away, powdercoating i get done just 1 mile away from my house and thats turned round in 24 hours.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, but don't you live on a little island or something? Us here in 'merica got a hundred miles to anything! ('cept them boys on LI)

Oh and uh, carbs look great, but I think I saw a blemish on the frame. :D

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
clocks refurbed and fitted..

wiring harness , airbox and few other bits fitted..

pretty much every single part of the bike will be refurbished before going back on, engine is stripped ready for inner cases vapour blasting then il rebuild engine with new seals, crank is perfect, il hone out the cylinders, fit new rings, fit new seals to the bottom end and she'l be good for a coupla years.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts