Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedy's "Best movie of all time" post got me thinking. This time of year we light a fire in the fireplace and spend a lot of time watching DVDs. Anyone want to share their favorite movies (keep in mind, The Lovely Sue really, really does not like motorcycles), so I can update my netflix queue?

Among mine (alongside the already mentioned "Robin Hood" and "Cyranno") are "The Road Warrior", "High Fidelity", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Hellboy", "Ronin", and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". In all honestly I don't consider any of those to be the best movie of all time, but they all entertain me every time I see them. These are the ones that never get old.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Delicatessen(one of my all time faves!) Gilbert Grape. Anything from Tim Burton.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh, Cohen brothers (especially "Arizona") are all super. And Nothing feels like home quite the way a Tim Burton movie does, especially when teamed up with Danny Elfman. Something about his imagery meshes well with Elfman's music. Tim Burton had a cameo in "Singles", where he was referred to as "The next Martin Scorseeze". Laughed my ass off.

You'll all have to excuse me; Home from work with a sick kid. I'll probably spend way too much time here today, annoying all of you.

Edited by - judeyramone on Feb 11 2008 1:20:27 PM

Edited by - judeyramone on Feb 11 2008 1:20:50 PM

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My vote (and my wife's) is with bfd..."raising arizona"... i'll probabley be spewing lines from it long after i've forgotten my own name. we still laugh all the way through.
-parks

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Guess I'm out of touch...I lean towards Wells, Lemet, Frankenheimer, Kubrick, Sergio Leone and John Ford.

Like Hitchcock said. "I studied the three masters...John Ford, John Ford and John Ford."

On my list would be Citizen Kane, 12 Angry Men, Five Days in May, Fail safe, A Clockwork Orange, Being There, The Searchers, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache (the original), Once Upon a Time in the West (best western ever made), Blade Runner, 2001, Das Boot, Cuckoo's Nest, The Detail, and a slew of others.

Arizona would be in my very short list of "recent" films I like, along with Godfather 1 and 2, Holy Grail, Fargo.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey rosebud,

everytime 12 angry men is on the classic movie channel i watch it. i cant not. i studied it in highschool in drama. a freaking fantastic flick. absolutely one of the best movies ever made. also, the heat of the night, and blackboard jungle, guess whos coming to dinner, and the defiant ones. hey, i dig sidney pontier.. also totally love seeing all the presidents men.

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Feb 11 2008 2:11:18 PM

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hate it when i agree with branson some of the time. thank goodness i don't agree with him all the time.
-parks

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read "12 Angry Men" in high school. The Lovely Sue does not like old movies, which sucks, although I can easily talk her into anything with Audrey Hepburn. Before I met her, though, I dated a film scholar for several yrs and I spent many hrs in art theatres, and watching silent movies - often with symphonic accompaniment. Saw a silent "Robin Hood" with Douglas Fairbanks, at the Fox theatre in Detroit with live accompaniment by the DSO. Fox Theatre is worth searching out a website. It's the most amazing movie palace you can imagine.

"Failsafe" is another good one. So is "Blade Runner". I saw "Citizen Kane" for the first time in an historic theatre, and "Lawrence of Arabia", another favorite.

One I can't pass up, every time it's on tv (often), is "Jaws". Say what you want about Speilberg (hack), that really is a fantastic movie. Suzy hates it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
For old man Branson:

"The Desperate Hours" (Bogart: "You'll take it when I slap you and you'll like it." Classic)

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (Taylor and Burton at their drunken best)

If you liked "Delicatessen" check out "City of Lost Children" or "Amelie" (Same directors, visually amazing)

I still show "12 Angry Men" to my high school students. Ten minutes in and they're over the whole "awww, man black & white?" and their eyes are glued to the screen.

Scary:

"Exorcist III" (trust me, its different)

"The Hitcher" (the original from the 80's with Rutger Hauer)

"The Thing" (AWESOME sci-fi remake from the 80's with Kurt Russel and Wilford Brimley wielding an axe)

"Re-Animator" ('cause its COOL)

Funny:

"The Ref" (with Dennis Leary, wicked funny--like Virginia Woolf, above)

"Straight to Hell" (spaghetti western satire starring The Pogues, Elvis Costello, Zander Schloss [from the Circle Jerks], Courtney Love [yes, I know, but she's appropriately annoying], Joe Fuckin Strummer and a whole bunch of other underground heroes from the 80s)

"Kung Pao: Enter the Fist" (I pee'd myself)

Action:

"5th Element", "Crouching Tiger-Hidden Dragon", "Robocop" (seriously), "The Duel" (Speilburg's first, every bit as good as "Jaws")

Drama:

"GlenGaryGlenRoss" (Holy Fucking Fuck you Fuck--see it, you'll understand)

"Dog Day Afternoon" (Pacino's best flick)

????:

"Brazil" (Terry Gilliam [from Monty Python] masterpiece

"Spirited Away", "Howl's Moving Castle", "My Friend Torturo" (Japanese animated features that are So. Damn. Cool.)

"Man Bites Dog" (French mock-umentary about a serial killer--ULTRA violent! Viewer beware!)

"kalifornia" (decent highway killer flick w/ Brad Pitt [for the wife])

I got more but there's some guaranteed good films from off the beaten path.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A few more to consider depending on your mood(s); Contact, Sneakers, A Few Good Men, No Way Out, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys.
These all have some good hooks regardless of whether you like some of the players....

I just looked at the title of this topic and I'm going to post my disclaimer, these are not neccesarily the best of all time, but some may be included in top 20 in genre. Or at least some of the players involved could be.

FR

Edited by - FR on Feb 11 2008 5:07:12 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
I have yet to make it through city of lost children. I always fall asleep. amelie just havent been able to do either.

the hitcher was great. so was john carpenters thing. that was a killer movie that should be remade even better. the part when it turns into the dog creature was awesome.

80s movies, how bout final countdown??? f14's vs jap zeros??

dog day afternoon without a doubt.

also deniro in cape fear. i remember leaving the movie theatre and being literally fucked in the head.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
quote:
I have yet to make it through city of lost children. I always fall asleep. amelie just havent been able to do either.
Yeah, you kinda have to be in the right "mood".

quote:

also deniro in cape fear. i remember leaving the movie theatre and being literally fucked in the head.

jc

i dont know shit
Agreed! (the original with Robert Mitchum is pretty good too)

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Rutger Hauer in the Hitcher is on my top 3 list of scariest bad guys ever. I had an F'd up nightmare about him after consuming some moonshine in Ireland. The guy in No Country for Old Men is as scary, maybe more so.
Not a big fan of black and white movies but To Kill A Mockingbird is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
"clerks" anybody?
-parks
ps: "dead men don't wear plaid"
"who framed roger rabbit?" i'm not kidding, i really liked it

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
For me its a toss up between The Rear Window and Brazil.
Oh, and Donnie Darko.

Funny. When I first saw Brazil, it was on TV, and for some reason, they cut off the movie right before the very end, where he's flying through the sky. Complete mindfuck when I finally saw the whole movie.

Good but not the Best (strongly suggested):
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Sin City
The Last King of Scotland
Dark City
Pi: Faith in Chaos
Children of Men
The Village
Eastern Promises
The Kingdom
Grindhouse (too bad they didn't release it on DVD like it was shown in the theater)

And a must add to your Netflicks queue:
The Venture Brothers (both volumes)
Yes, its a cartoon. Yes, you must watch it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts