·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
That logo looks questionable.

Still it has to be better than the crappy puck you have on the 500/4 now.

3 reasons it won't work:

1) disc thickness. Believe it or not there is a spec thickness for the rotor to work with the caliper. Too thick you get massize brake drag - more as it heats up. Too thin and you loose braking effectivness. You need to find out a) what bike that came off of, and b) the acceptable disc thickness for that bike, and c) either skim your disc into spec or redrill another disc to work with the setup.

2) not sure how you are going to mount it. Doesn't look like it has internal slide pins so you may have to keep your swing caliper arrangement which is not the most ideal setup.

3) assuming you get it mounted with the correct disc, you need the appropriate master cylinder to work with that caliper. I am thinking your cb500/4 master may not be up to the task.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
That logo looks questionable.

Still it has to be better than the crappy puck you have on the 500/4 now.

3 reasons it won't work:

1) disc thickness. Believe it or not there is a spec thickness for the rotor to work with the caliper. Too thick you get massize brake drag - more as it heats up. Too thin and you loose braking effectivness. You need to find out a) what bike that came off of, and b) the acceptable disc thickness for that bike, and c) either skim your disc into spec or redrill another disc to work with the setup.

2) not sure how you are going to mount it. Doesn't look like it has internal slide pins so you may have to keep your swing caliper arrangement which is not the most ideal setup.

3) assuming you get it mounted with the correct disc, you need the appropriate master cylinder to work with that caliper. I am thinking your cb500/4 master may not be up to the task.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Also I don't think you realize, this isn't a big caliper. This is for a dual sport bike which means that caliper may only be about the size of a rear caliper on most sport bikes. Still it is probably better than your single puck.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Also I don't think you realize, this isn't a big caliper. This is for a dual sport bike which means that caliper may only be about the size of a rear caliper on most sport bikes. Still it is probably better than your single puck.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You don't think it coming from Thailand has anything to do with it not being an Italian Brembo caliper? Or the fact that the majority of their ebay feedback is for soccer jerseys.

if it seems too good to be true - as was already said.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You don't think it coming from Thailand has anything to do with it not being an Italian Brembo caliper? Or the fact that the majority of their ebay feedback is for soccer jerseys.

if it seems too good to be true - as was already said.

Craig

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought it might be too much of a good deal.

Well Geets,

I want the thing to stop better than it did, but I don't want the added weight of a double disk front end (not to mention the added annoyance of finding a right side glide to mount a caliper to in Australia).

1) You are correct on finding the origin of the caliper. I'd work from there to correct the tolerances.

2) I was originally looking to splurge on an AP unit, but jesus they're a tad pricey. Funny you compare this caliper to the rear of a modern sports bike. After conversing with a pal who repairs and rebuilds general automotive calipers, he suggested finding a twin piston unit off the rear of a wrecked modern rocket. Lots of front end shunts here, as anywhere i'd suppose, leaving perfectly tidy rears. I'd be ideally searching for something that slides, as apposed to the wacky honda swing. This of course would require a machinist to knock up a mounting plate for me.

3) Master cylinder will be replaced regardless with a modern unit and braided line.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought it might be too much of a good deal.

Well Geets,

I want the thing to stop better than it did, but I don't want the added weight of a double disk front end (not to mention the added annoyance of finding a right side glide to mount a caliper to in Australia).

1) You are correct on finding the origin of the caliper. I'd work from there to correct the tolerances.

2) I was originally looking to splurge on an AP unit, but jesus they're a tad pricey. Funny you compare this caliper to the rear of a modern sports bike. After conversing with a pal who repairs and rebuilds general automotive calipers, he suggested finding a twin piston unit off the rear of a wrecked modern rocket. Lots of front end shunts here, as anywhere i'd suppose, leaving perfectly tidy rears. I'd be ideally searching for something that slides, as apposed to the wacky honda swing. This of course would require a machinist to knock up a mounting plate for me.

3) Master cylinder will be replaced regardless with a modern unit and braided line.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Can I make a suggestion?

Try to find a first generation ex500 caliper. Alloy bodied tokiko, and used on the ex500 as a single disc setup and on the zx6r as a dual setup. Rotor thickness needed is about 5.5mm which isn't far from your existing disc plus it is a slider caliper. There is actually a conversion kit made for these for the Kawasaki triples and I had a dual setup on my h1 drag bike - it was too much brake.
They are also a slider pin caliper so all you need is a fixed mount.

The best part? Buy them all day long for $20 in good condition from salvage yards or eBay.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Can I make a suggestion?

Try to find a first generation ex500 caliper. Alloy bodied tokiko, and used on the ex500 as a single disc setup and on the zx6r as a dual setup. Rotor thickness needed is about 5.5mm which isn't far from your existing disc plus it is a slider caliper. There is actually a conversion kit made for these for the Kawasaki triples and I had a dual setup on my h1 drag bike - it was too much brake.
They are also a slider pin caliper so all you need is a fixed mount.

The best part? Buy them all day long for $20 in good condition from salvage yards or eBay.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bam. Thanks for that one. I'm sure theres rebuild kits a plenty for those as well. 20 bucks stateside, 90 over here. Sheesh. It's cheaper to send my cam to megacycle and back then to get someone to regrind it here!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bam. Thanks for that one. I'm sure theres rebuild kits a plenty for those as well. 20 bucks stateside, 90 over here. Sheesh. It's cheaper to send my cam to megacycle and back then to get someone to regrind it here!

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Also look at the twin piston dohc cb750f caliper from 1981-82. Cheap, rebuild kits are $12. They were used on the vfr and everything Honda n the 80s. If you look hard there may even be a wire wheel model they used them on

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Also look at the twin piston dohc cb750f caliper from 1981-82. Cheap, rebuild kits are $12. They were used on the vfr and everything Honda n the 80s. If you look hard there may even be a wire wheel model they used them on

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Those little Honda dual piston jobs are pretty good calipers. Avoid ones off of the antidive front ends, the mount is impossible to adapt. This isn't an issue if you are building a new mount I guess.

I found for my app (cb750c) I could go wire wheel by using a goldwing hub. Wish I could remember all the details.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts