Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we drug bills bike out to check his oil leak and brake adjust yesterday. it fired right up in about 10' and was running great. he's tooling around the street and pulls up on the bike and its idling a little high. then "bang, stall" it backfires and wont start back up. its just backfiring a little. so i notice the points cam has slipped and come out of the advancer and is sticking out past the bolt on the end of the shaft. we drag it back in and pull it apart. put it back with the correct washer, and it still wont fire. just kinda backfires and pops. definitely a timing issue. the chain hasnt jumped, and the timing is correct. its got good spark. any thoughts??

were going to have to dig into it a little tomorrow to maybe find out. but hoping someones got an idea before we go in.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has a keyed slot on the back. how do you flip it? should the arrow be on the top, or the bottom? the advance mech has a large slot, and a small slot on the back for the cam pin. it seems to only fit one way into the larger slot. im sure its a timing issue, but i cant seem to figure it out. like i also said, it started up no problem at first.

any other ideas? im going to look at it more today if i have time.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah, does it matter which way the cam goes on? i noticed the little legs have a rounded side and a not so rounded side to them.

j

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i bet thats it the cam spun, and thats why it backfired and died.

thanks rosko. knew we could count on you. ill let you knw what happens!

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
that's why i recommend rosko looking at your bike after any recent wrenching.....he finds all the things you forgot to do.

really appreciate the help down at v.i.r.!

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, the cam spun. the oil was from a too overly excited mechanic drilling holes in the valve covers. doh! so its all fixed and fires up perfectly now. even idles perfectly!

jc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts