Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New on here and hoping for some guidance.

Working on my first project which is a Moto Guzzi V50 Cafe Racer. I am planning to put new rear sets on that sit where the original rear pegs would be, about 8" back from where the front pegs would be on the unmodified bike. Am trying to come up with a way to create new linkage to the gear box and struggling enormously. Has anyone else done a V50 project and willing to share their ideas?

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
That's usually too far back unless you currently ride with your butt on the pillion part of the saddle., they are suppose to be underneath your so that when your get up on them with the balls of your feet you look like a jockey on a race horse (centred) . Pegs too far back will force too much weight transfer to the bars, thats' not comfortable or optimal for riding.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hello James. Having restored a V50 last year I can appreciate that rear sets won't be straight forward.
This Italian company sells a set, but are not cheap. Moto Guzzi V35 V50 V65 Adjustable Rear Sets
The second pic is of a V7, but the linkage looks similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much appreciated. I think I'll do a few mock ups and sit on it for a while to get the positioning right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello James. Having restored a V50 last year I can appreciate that rear sets won't be straight forward.
This Italian company sells a set, but are not cheap. Moto Guzzi V35 V50 V65 Adjustable Rear Sets
The second pic is of a V7, but the linkage looks similar.
Thanks Steve, you're right about the price! This has really helped though and has given me an idea that I think I can fabricate myself.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sorry best I have. It was a bike racing in European endurance racing, may have been Spa. Endurance bikes will likely give you a good compromise position. Somewhere between best speed position and commuter upright.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just a thought regarding the rear master cylinder. Would it be possible to turn it around?. I'd guess a longer brake hose would be needed, and the linked brakes line (if still fitted) might be a issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
That's usually too far back unless you currently ride with your butt on the pillion part of the saddle., they are suppose to be underneath your so that when your get up on them with the balls of your feet you look like a jockey on a race horse (centred) . Pegs too far back will force too much weight transfer to the bars, thats' not comfortable or optimal for riding.
I tend to agree with the above...
Rearsets too far back will put more weight on your wrists. This is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.
It also prevents you from using your legs effectively on a bike. This is more a riding style difference and there are plenty that sit straight on the seat and steer. I tend to need to use my feet and legs.

Basically what he said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought regarding the rear master cylinder. Would it be possible to turn it around?. I'd guess a longer brake hose would be needed, and the linked brakes line (if still fitted) might be a issue.
Just looked at this and I think you're right - sketching some ideas for linkage now - Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to agree with the above...
Rearsets too far back will put more weight on your wrists. This is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.
It also prevents you from using your legs effectively on a bike. This is more a riding style difference and there are plenty that sit straight on the seat and steer. I tend to need to use my feet and legs.

Basically what he said.
.....and with a back like mine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts