Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a new 550 chain on my CB750K5. The old chain was so stretched that the rear axle was as far back in the swing arm as it could go.

The new chain has the axle almost as far forward as it will go.

Does rear axel position make a difference? If so what is the difference?

Mut

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you mean 530 chain. How many links?

Make sure your axle markings are in the same place for both side, your wheel should not be cockeyed.

In drag classes where you couldn't modify the swingarm/frame, guys used to run "loose chains", old chains that allowed the wheel to sit all the way at the back of the arm because it gave them an extra inch of wheelbase and every inch helped.

really a tight new unstreached chain should have you at the chain adjuster mark closest to the frame, but not past it. If you are past it the chain is too short. After 100 miles the chan may streach up to a mark or so. How about a pic so we can see what you are doing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post a pic this evening.

It may be a 530, i don't have the box in front of me. The chain adjuster is just behind the first mark. The old chain would not get tight even with the adjuster set all the way back.

·
Registered
699 Posts
listen to geet, you just had a bunch of chain slack. wheel base is important when racing, but not so much on the street. i know i've used half links on my flattrackers to keep the wheel base as short as possible when i was changing gearing and such. you'll be fine as long as you have the back wheel straight

·
Registered
504 Posts
Chains don't stretch, they wear. Each pin wears a few thou and it all adds up to a longer chain. .005 x 100 links = 1/2"
Now I'm going out in the shop to machine some BILLETS!

FC

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hate to correct (clarify?)the camel myster but 100 links wearing .005' each will lengthen the wheelbase about 1/4" using carpenter measurements....half the chain is on top and half runs below the swing arm...
-parks
ps yeah i know the total wear yields a 1/2" longer chain.
pps o.k. beat on me frank, i'm ready.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I put a 630 chain on one of my hondas, 530 on the other (you need a sprockets for the 630).

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:Originally posted by parks61

hate to correct (clarify?)the camel myster but 100 links wearing .005' each will lengthen the wheelbase about 1/4" using carpenter measurements....half the chain is on top and half runs below the swing arm...
-parks
ps yeah i know the total wear yields a 1/2" longer chain.
pps o.k. beat on me frank, i'm ready.
I only beat on guys my own age, which eliminates all of you.

FC

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
77-78 came from the factory stock with 630 chain. Presumably this was in response to the power increase in 77 to solve the 1969 chain throwing issues the sand casts had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts