Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the death wobble going on in my rear wheel. When I am in a corner at speed it feels like the back of the bike if going to wash out on me. When I have the bike up on the center stand there is a little play when I wiggle the swing arm.

I was planning on buying some bronze bushings and new bearings.

Are all bearings created equal or does this group have a preference?

What else can cause the death wobble?

Mut

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Low tire pressure, bad wheel bearings, loose spokes, worn out tires can all help cause a death wobble, too.

Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire has lots of tread left but in not new. The valve stem leaks ever so slowly so I need to put air in the tire once a week.

The spokes are tight but the wheel is out of true (i noticed this by spinning the wheel while the bike was on the center stand and seeing the rim pinch toward the swing arm in one spot. I am not 100% sure it is the rim, it may be the tire is on the rim wrong).

Do spoked motorcycle whells get trued just the smae as a bike wheel?

What about bearing makes, which are the ones to buy?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Your first step is to get your rear wheel trued up - spoke tuning is more of an art and you need to find an old school type to get the job done right. An yes - it's done just like bike tires. Your next step is to check your bearing play and make sure the bearings are properly greased for easy rolling. Because the wheel has been out of true - that **may** have affected your bearings - under line the word may.

The last thing to check is the bushings on the swing arm. If you have play there then they need to be replaced. Some vendors have needle bearing kits that you can use instead of bushings. Bushings should be more than fine for what your doing. Now replacing swing arm bushings can be a real pain unless you know a few tricks.

Many moons ago I replaced bushings on my cb750. I tried heating the swing arm, I tried pullers, I took it to every side hack I could find to get the old bushings out to replace with new ones. Finally after spending two days f'en with the stupid bushings I referred to my problem to my father. He studied the bushings for two minutes then took a cold chisel and split the old bushings in two and we were able to pull them right out. That showed me that old dogs do have new tricks that us young pups can learn from.

Lastly - your slow leak is due to a bad tire tube - replace it... You'll have to remove the tire anyways to true up your wheel **correctly**. I know someone here will say you can true up a wheel without removing the tire - but since your going to replace your tube - remove the tire. Some of the spokes may have to be ground down on the inside of the rim.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Before you start going crazy you might just want to check your rear alignment . That can make your rear wobble too. Low tire pressure , cupping of the rear tire , bearings , etc. Also might want to check your headstock bolt . too. It's just that I've learned the hard way to solve the simple shit first before opening the wallet , that's all. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts