Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Keihin carb on my '74 CL125S is just driving me crazy. I've disassembled it, soaked it in Chem-Dip, fiddled, fussed and futzed with it. It runs great one moment, then rev it up and the idle will suddenly be 1000 RPM higher or lower a moment later. It can run great out on the street for 10-20 minutes and then die suddenly at speed and be unwilling to restart.

I am more than willing to get another carb, but I don't want to complicate things further by getting one of those Chinese knockoff pit-bike carbs on Ebay, with their pot-metal bodies and mystery-meat jetting. I was ready to get an OKO K-101 from Mid-Atlantic Trials, but that's only made with left-side adjustment screws and choke, which would be really problematic on my bike.

Any suggestions about where I might source a decent-quality 22mm carb suitable for a 15HP, four-stroke single?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Any chance there is a partial blockage upstream? When it craps out, shut the fuel off right away and see what is in the float bowl? Had one that was a pain. Piece of O ring trapped up out of sight under the seat for the float needle.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i have available a 24mm oem sl350k1 carb.it.s clean and ready to use
one good thing about the old oem carbs is thety were not hampered by any epa regulations
carb needs to be same or within less than a mm at spigot

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible that ignition is somehow involved, but I've replaced the points, condenser, and coil already. Also, I can't imagine how the fluctuating idle is electrical. I've messed with it enough that my next logical troubleshooting step is a known good carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts