Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if you guys have covered this, but I'm a newbie... I want new spokes and I'm getting new tires soon.. I think they will be here wednesday. I would like to replace the spokes before i put my new tires on. can I do this or do I need to have them done at a shop? Can I replace them one at a time or will the rim get all out of whack? should I change them out then have the rim tuned at a shop?also where can I buy some nice chrome or stainless spokes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lacing wheels is part art, part science. Unless you have some time and lots of patience, take it to someone that does wheels. If you supply the parts, labor should be around a $100 per wheel. Try Buchannan Wheel and Spoke for your parts. You could loose lace them and take them to a shop and have them trued, but I dont know how much that would save you??

CT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool I checked buchanan but they don't sell them for my wheels. I really appreciate the tip though. the reason I was asking is that at one time I worked in a model A shop and one of my jobs was straightening the bent wire wheels and fixing the spokes. I was ok at it. so I have a mild concept how wire wheels work the run out and the spoke tension. I guess I could try it and if I can't get it.. I'll just take it to a shop? I mean if I'm gonna pay anyway I may as well try my hand at it? any other ideas on spokes, I don't really want the ebay thailand spokes!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
buchanons doesnt have your spokes???

wha??

for what kind of bike?? or rim wheel combo?

jc

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buchannan's will make any spoke you want. You just have to send them the dimensions of the hub and rim or better yet samples of the spokes you're taking out so they can get the proper bends and thread length etc.

Mike O.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Or just call them up. Tell them the bike you're using and they'll send you the spokes you need. Don't go just by the website and assume they don't have spokes for your bike. Their website is not one of the best out there. I had the best luck calling them on a Saturday morning. I talked to the owner and he knew exactly what I needed when trying to fit a Yamaha RD front hub into a wheel that had been drilled for a Honda front hub.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
....like these guys said, buchanan will be able to send you spokes for any wheel. then, if you want to do it yourself, study the pattern on your current wheel or take a picture so you know it well (usually a 4 spoke, inside-outside the hub, repeating pattern). then get all the spokes in place loosely and slowly start tightening the nipples, each one evenly, after smearing the treads with a bit of antisieze. you'll want at least a dial indicator if you want to true them yourself (true for lateral runout and for round). you may want a spoke torque wrench, but i've never used one. then, check to make sure no spokes are proud of the nipples or you'll puncture your tubes....some may have to be ground down.

i haven't done too many wheels myself but have been happy with my limited results. i'm sure others here will have more/better info.

-tt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tt- thanks for the info... ok obvious question here.. but can't I just remove one spoke at a time and replace it? why do I need to take them all out? Or even like five at a time or something? then it should be easy to keep the pattern?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, it seems your method would work if they're loose enough to give all the freeplay that you'll need. i've never replaced spokes just for spokes sake....just with new rims.

-tt

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah mine are just rusty.. I should prolly go have my rims powder coated and just take them all the way off... we'll just have to see.. spokes are freaking expensive though... man everything on these is pricy

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Spoking wheels really isn't rocket science, I've done a couple dozen wheels. Once you do the first one it's not so intimidating. Really helps to have a similar spoked wheel as reference. Just tackle it, it's only a wheel, if you do it, you do it. If you don't, well you were going to pay someone else anyway.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by george I think he's got it!!!

branson- that is my thought exactly. I have rebuilt motors and staightened body panels that should have been thrown away and made them show quality.. I should be able to handle a wheel.. I've just never done it before. I always like to collect as much info about a subject before i tackle it. now I just gotta find some spokes I can afford!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Dude, I'm the same way, I approach things with caution...then leap in for the attack. Full sets of OEM spokes are stupid expensive. Buchannan's gets about $80 a set for spokes and nipples. If your bike is a fairly common one, full sets show up on ebay now and then. But I've also bought them on ebay and had them turn out to be not for what they said they were. You can also replace single spokes, done it before, sometimes though you have to take out two spokes to get to the one you want, then put them both back in. A new spoke with old ones won't screw up anything. Just tighten them back up to about the same as the surrounding spokes using the "tuning fork" method....tapping on them and listening for the sound they make.

When it comes to truing....if you have a lump on one side, tighten the spokes on the other side (side to side). If you have an up and down bump (perpendicular to the axle) then tighten the spokes on the same side as the bump. Sometimes you may have to loosen the spokes on the opposite side of the ones you tighten to give them the slack to move the rim.

There are usually a couple of websites up with info on spoking and truing....bicycle, motorcycle...very similar.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The thing I run into on older wheels is the spoke nipples siezing on the spoke. Then you can't loosen them or it takes waaay to long to frig around with, that is if you're trying to save them. If you're replacing them then it's easy, just cut 'em off. Just make sure you have the right replacement spokes and nipples before you do.
I did find that having a decent quality spoke wrench, the kind that contacts all 4 sides of the nipple, makes a big difference too.

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
watching someone who knows what they are doing is magic. rosko, lance did your wheels while we talked and watched motogp.......

he had your wheels trued before the race was over.

freakin' magic!

tex

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah the tuning fork method was what I used a lot on the old model A wheels.. I actually thought you guys would tell me I was nuts if I said you could tap on them and tell if they are fairly ballanced in tension. yeah when they say 80 bucks is that both wheels, from buchanan?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts