Cafe Racer Forum banner

Replacing the gas cap

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  drainyoo 
#1 ·
Anyone know how this is done? I checked the one on my bike and it has some weird kind of pin that doesnt look like it can be reused once removed. Here is what my cap looks like.

See less See more
#2 ·
the cap should be the same for most honda models (looks the same as my 750, but I know the 175 and 350s have a different one). If it is the cap is rivited on and you will need to drill out the old rivit and replace with a new rivet. I think the rivit is still available from honda, but I would make sure you have one before you start to destroy the old one.

#3 ·
quote:
the cap should be the same for most honda models (looks the same as my 750, but I know the 175 and 350s have a different one). If it is the cap is rivited on and you will need to drill out the old rivit and replace with a new rivet. I think the rivit is still available from honda, but I would make sure you have one before you start to destroy the old one.
Thats what I was afraid of. Could I just use any old rivot, does it have to be from Honda?

#4 ·
quote:
quote:
Thats what I was afraid of. Could I just use any old rivot, does it have to be from Honda?
It is like a super long rivet with a funny head, I think any old pop rivet will have too big a head to allow free movement of the gas cap. I've seen guys replace them with long but tiny flathead screws and had no problem, I think that is how honda service did it back it the day if they had to replace your cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.