Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 CB200T with only 1115 miles on it and needless to say the tires are original issue. To say the least they are not the most confidence inspiring. I want to know if anybody could suggest some tires that will fit the stock rims while being a little wider and much more sticky, any help with this would be appreciated very much. There are some pics below.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same bike and the same problem.

The wheel widths equate to 80mm up front and 90mm out back. Finding tires to fit ther rear is no problem. Finding tires to fit the front is the hard part. I've done some research and to the best of my knowledge there are no tire manufacturers that make a street tire that is 80mm wide and 18" diameter. I just recently found some race tires in 80mm widths that are "For off-highway use only" but they are expensive.

As for putting a 90mm wide tire in the front, it's not terrible, but generally not reccomended. Mounting a wider or smaller tire than what the wheel will change the profile of the tire and therefore change the handling. It's been discussed and explained before on the forum.

So, I am considering two options right now, and neither are cheap. Pony up for the race tires, or figure out how to put a wider front wheel on the bike.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Also, if anyone has any experience in runnning race tires on the street, I'd like to hear about that as well.

One last thing - Mr. November, if you decide to swap out the mufflers on that bike, I'd like to buy the stock ones if they are in good condition. My cb200 is super clean and stock and I'd like to keep it that way, but my left muffler is rusted out on the bottom.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I will disagree with the "Not Recommended" part of putting a 90 width on the front. That rim width will not appreciably distort the profile of a front tire enough to make a noticeable difference, especially on a stock CB200 on the street. Furthermore an 80 mm tire width can really run anywhere from about 72 mm to 85mm and a 90 can run between 82 and 95mm. So a 90 can theoretically be narrower than a fat 80. Numbers don't really mean as much as you would think. A 90 - 18 will probably give a slightly heavier feel to the front end as far as steering input goes, but based on the CB200s I have ridden, that is not a bad thing. So, the upshot of this little lecture is that, If it were me, I would get Bridgestone BT45s in a 90/90H-18(Dennis Kirk part #540184, $74.95) front and a 110/90H - 18 rear (Dennis Kirk part # 540156 $77.95). However if you really want to have a 80/100-18 front, Cheng Shin makes one( Dennis Kirk part #651334 $41.99)C906 80/100P-18. It looks to be a copy of the Metzler ME33 lazer, although I am sure it does not work as well.

Ken

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for all the info guys, Ken especially, you even got part numbers! nice...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick question, Ken, the front tire you mentioned says it is tubeless, will that be a problem with my cb200? additionally, are you aware or any clearance problems with these tires? Rubbing, scraping, etc... I really liked your observation about the steering BTW, good call...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You can go ahead and run it on a spoked rim with a tube in it. I really don't know about the clearance issue. How much room do you have with the 80 in there. The 110 V18 BT45 front that I have run on my Seca 550 was both wider and taller than the 110 18 Avon AM22 that I have on there now. I did have a clearance issue with the front fender, but that front end originally had a 100 16 wheel and tire on there to start with and is from an entirely different bike, too. I suspect you won't have a clearance issue, but if it is tight with the 80 you might. Good question, though.

Ken

·
Registered
241 Posts
Find someone reasonably local to you racing a 160 or 175 and pick up their castoff race tires. There's a whole lotta bikes running around Seattle with castoff Avon Roadrunners, 80/90 front and either 80/90 or 90/90 rears. I used to go through them at two sets/year.

I'd offer to send you a set but I'm all out. Now we're running on Bridgestone BT35s from the Honda Dream50R. They're smaller but work even better as race tires. Pretty small for the street though.

Is there a track local to you that supports smallbore vintage racing?

Michael

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
275/18 rib front 300/18 block rear. Got em 75.00 deleivered. made by me. run all the time with no issues sticky and round

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Champ, are you able to post pics of those tires? They sound like a good deal...

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're right Unga, front and rear rims are the same width. I've got Bridgestone RS10 2.75 and 3.25 X 18". Dirt cheap, AUD140 for the pair so I'm a bit anxious what they'll be like. On the plus side, they look period.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts