Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo, my handlebar controls are shot. I need to pick them up at some point and I'd like to have some new ones instead of ebaying or junkyarding it.

simple controls are fine, nothing very fancy...anyone have resources?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
for all things oem: bikebandit.com, cheapcycleparts.com, hondapartshouse.com (assuming you have a honda...)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Catboy any resources for non-OEM? I am looking for some newer ones.

If not, do you know if the parts from the sites you listed are new or used?

I dunno, I'm thinking non-OEM because $70 seems a bit expensive for a single handlebar control...but I could be wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well...do you want to keep the buttons? what do you want to do with your controls? you have to be a little more specific than I just want new controls.

Also what bike? I am going to assume cb750 from your last...(shudder)...knee dents post, but what year? Certain years require a dual pull throttle where the two cables pull opposite each other (instead of two the same direction).

http://www.cyclexchange.net/ has a lot of neat parts for cb750s.

on my 550 and cb750f dunstall I deleted the stock right side bar swtich and run a magura throttle. for the 550 I run light springs in the carb rack, but the 750 has dual cable throttle I found at mid-ohio this year in the swap meet. The right side switch has the kill and the electric starter in it, both of which you have alternatives to if you want to delete. depending on your year it may also have the headlight switch too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geeto, it's a 71 cb350...can't remember if there is a dual pull throttle or not.

Just looking for a universal replacement that isn't fugly.

left = lights, blinkers, horn. right = start, cutoff.

Thats all I can think of from memory.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the coolest and cleanest controls came on some special purpose Brit bikes, Italian bikes, and a few German bikes

old stuff.....

the Japanese stuff was always cheap looking and with about as much sex as a bald and jagged toothed 10 buck hooker

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tim,
On my race bike 350 I have a stand alone throttle assembly, brake lever perch, and kill button. You could add another momentary contact switch for a starter. On the left side I have a stand alone clutch lever assembly. I believe there are small horn headlight switches available. I use the shorty dogleg style lever assemblies from Dennis Kirk,www.denniskirk.com. Look in the dirtbike section. All of that stuff is cheap individually, but does add up as you would need a throttle, 3 switches, and 2 lever assemblies. I am running the same setup on my XL500 project. If you look in the project build section on the dirt bike thread there are pics of th 500 that give an idea of what I have.

Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
shall I post up some pix of my British grass track levers and rare throttle with a key lock?

really neat stuff

I also have a odd collection of various cool vintage and antique handlebar switch gear

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I forgot about the clutch and brake perches.
I guess I just thought that the levers would magically appear when I installed the switches!

So lemmie get this straight...I need a perch and lever for each side....AND either all in one handlebar control, or handlebar controls on right and left.

left = perch/lever/control.......control/lever/perch/throttle = right

Am I correct or being dumb?

Thanks for the responses guys!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok, so what type of bike are you building? semi-stock? full blown custom? I am guessing by the knee dents that you are going custom...well here is the chance to suss out the details that make your bike more than just another "lemming racer".

you could retain the stock controls (or get replacement stockers off ebay). Polished up the stock controls look very nice, in stock form they scream "you took a shortcut". repainted and relettered they can also look nice but right now they are probably a dull eggplant color - right?

on the full custom front:
If you get a keyswitch that turns like a car to start the bike, you can eliminate the starter button. You can also hide an aux starter button somewhere else on the bike (my cb550 chop has it on the battery box). you can bypass the headlight on/off switch by connecting the wires that normally go to the control directly to the headlight. A deadman switch will look "race" and actually make you class legal if you ever want to do a track day or drag racing brackets with your bike.

On the left side you will need headlight hi/low, horn, and signals (if you are keeping them). plenty of places sell custom ones although I like the round ring ones British Cycle supply sells.

you will need levers and perches if you go this route. You will also need a throttle. The advantage is that you will have a one of a kind bike that looks like you put a lot more work in than you actually did and not just another cobbled together cafe lemming newbie bike where you just ripped off what others have said makes a bike look "cafe"

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tim,
Another advantage to going the separate switch and lever route is that you can arrange the spacing and angle of things tomeet your needs.
Ken

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the help boys!

Tim

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:polished up the stock controls look very nice, in stock form they scream "you took a shortcut".
Phew! What a relief to know my 350 is not a lemming-cycle. I just wanted to clean mine up, since they worked fine.
I agree... polished, the stock controls look very decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts