Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I need to say that this was not my idea. Also I stole the pictures too!
http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=78533
Credit where credit is due.

Well I have always just replaced old plastic bits that get fade from time. Personally I have never run into a time when I couldn’t just find a new replacement, but I freely admit I don’t do concourse restorations.

So the basic idea is that with hydrogen peroxide and some sun light one can restore old plastics to new. I have yet to do this myself, but will be shortly. Will update with results and if there are any changes that can be done. So far I have seen that hair gel type stuff works really well. I assume that it sticks to the parts better. Seems to be cheap and easy to get.

So you take your used and ugly parts and place them in a bag with the cream.

Then just place the bag outside in the sun!

Then PRESTO!

How cool is that? And all for 5 bucks!

I assume that this only restores color and will not help something that is cracking or brittle.

Anyone ever do something like this?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Still, there's a night and day difference between cloudy white and cloudy yellow

Reactions: thechief86

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
What about faded black plastic like switch housing?
depends on how bad it is. if it feels rough like a charcoal briquette not much you can do except some enamel for a plastic model (testors). There was a guy who was restoring an RD and he had a secret he posted here, I forget who it was but he banned himself when witworth was around.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Thorough decreasing......like with Zep Purple Degree service from Home Depot. Once again......maybe a light agitation with a power washer......... then once thoroughly dried let soak in amoral. I've used the Bumper Doctor from the Count and that works well to keep the low gloss original look to it.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
depends on how bad it is. if it feels rough like a charcoal briquette not much you can do except some enamel for a plastic model (testors). There was a guy who was restoring an RD and he had a secret he posted here, I forget who it was but he banned himself when witworth was around.
That was Dean.

Don't know if it will work too well on a switchblock, but I've used a heatgun on black plastic inner fenders before when they've gone grey and that works pretty well (you just have to make sure you dont heat them too much.....)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.