Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front rotor squeaks like a bitch and it drives me crazy. I know most every old disc brake will do this and that its hard to fix permanently, but im gonna try.

Apparently the easiest thing to do is "resurface" the rotor. Any suggestions on how to do this, sand paper, polish, etc...

thanks

My CB750 Project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Contact Chris Schumann:

Portland Engine Rebuilders
Attn. Chris Schumann
1001 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97214

[email protected]

And get him to drill and surface your rotors. Last time a checked he's getting $40 for surfacing and $95 for drilling. Here's a sample of his work on a GT750 Buffalo:

Jim

Edited by - diamondj on Sep 18 2007 10:02:15 AM

·
Registered
838 Posts
While having a straight and true rotor to work with is important, most squealing brake noise does not originate where the pad contacts the rotor. The harmonic squeal you hear usually originates from the metal to metal contact points where the brake pad and caliper meet. Any point where there is metal to metal contact between the pad and caliper needs to be cleaned and lubed with a heat resistant grease. This would include where the pad is contacted by the caliper piston or any securing pins. After the caliper and pad have been cleaned, applying a thin coat of grease to these contact points should cure the noise. I use the high heat type grease used for lubing boat trailer wheel bearings. It's water proof and won't melt away from the heat of the brakes.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that and the puck has to be very clean. no corrosion or growth. the seal has to be good too. ive found a scrubbing the puck with a brillow does wonders for brake noises. ive even seen people wire wheel them.

i had a really weird thing happen to my brakes the other day. i had to make s pretty quick stop at a light and i either felt the rear tire lift, or the front did something weird. i heard a screetch screetch noise, tires skidding. im not sure if i locked the front on a crosswalk stripe and it slid, or if the back tire was sliding. the front definitely wanted to tuck under. i had to pull the lever to the bar, which it did. after that my brake sucked. and the lever pulled back pretty far. theres no leak. and the puck wasnt real hot when i got home a few blocks later. but i was able to pull off in first gear with the brake pulled. (not something i can usually do)

any ideas or guesses before i do surgery?? i also noticed my brake fluid cange form last year is looking cruddy. so its time to change that out again.

just weird

·
Registered
194 Posts
the 650 had something sort of similar too and i didnt fix it cause i just blamed it on that whole braking system sucking ass..... now i'm curious and i probably should fix it.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
on cb750s the front brake squeal is most often caused by the caliper attachment arm and not the caliper. The entire caliper mount can get gummed up with brake dust and crap. Before you go crazy resurfacing rotors I would disassemble the caliper brakcet and clean the whole damn setup.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
READ MY FAQ
ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts