Cafe Racer Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
that looks like it might have the wrong spacer behind het front sprocket. how much thread is showing?

i quite like that tail. lots of guys are using 999 tanks these days, but with the lowered sump at the back they tend to end up a bit high at the back on a 2v/3v headed bike. 1098 tanks also, but they're the placky ones.

·
Registered
830 Posts
How's the latest Monster project going Brad?
slow. i have a thread on dtt showing some pics and paint ideas.

i found a heap of stuff needed, as this one is a made from parts bike. i'm keen to get it done as it's the bike i want. well, at this point in time. i really would like something to do a 16"/18" wheel combo, which i fully understand is not really something to build a project around. but i guess it's as good a basis as any of the shit i come up with.

there's the one that might end up as a bit of a chopper too. it's about 5 years off being club plate-able, so i have 5 years to finish that one. i figure if it's shit as a chop/bob/relaxed naked i can easily just put a normal length shock back in it and with the 18" front wheel and upswept pipes it can be a scrambler. or maybe just a bike to ride. who knows. i don't ride them anyway, really.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What started this was seeing a 2007 st3 that was coming through the auction. The repair quote made it sound like a cosmetic write off with low miles, 19000km. I ended up buying it and it has turned out to be way to nice to mess with. I actually find the cans on it are the glaring ugliness, a Conti style with a little more upsweep would work better. I read they only built 1000 in 2007, poor sales not ltd production I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow on my thread.

Tanshanomi got a tail section for his Bultacastein from Airtech and was not impressed with the quality. Have you bought their stuff. That Manxter tail does have a nice shape to it.

My partner in buying these hitters has a sport classic, a VERY fat bottom girl seat.
yes, by 2007 it was dead. great bike, engine is really nice. with some weight off it'd be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
View attachment 104035

Nice tight little butt. Slight frame mods make it more like a monster rear end and save some weight that's not needed if you dump the panniers. The pannier frames also make the pipes lie lower.

Some alternative pipes to think about if you take a knife to the thing for cosmetic surgery.

View attachment 104036

View attachment 104037

I also spend a few long days and nights polishing the headers. Next time I should get some of that cafe racer pipe wrap stuff....
Nice piece of tail. Is that the pan you made?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Looks like a great setup for a rider that has 2 artificial legs. Just replace the pegs with gyne stirrups

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Woodsman:
Yes. It's carbon fiber and sits on a small steel mount that bolts to the rear of the frame on a couple of brackets I welded on while I was cleaning up the frame rear end.

Brad B:
Thanks for spotting that. I think there's a lot of thread showing. I will pull it off and check the spacer. Any idea how long the correct one is?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Woodsman:
Yes. It's carbon fiber and sits on a small steel mount that bolts to the rear of the frame on a couple of brackets I welded on while I was cleaning up the frame rear end.

Brad B:
Thanks for spotting that. I think there's a lot of thread showing. I will pull it off and check the spacer. Any idea how long the correct one is?
Have you a mould for it? Interested in making another?

Did you shorten the tail frame?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Brad, Mine is definitely like the uopper one with lots of thread showing. When I get back to work on it I will see how far out of alignment the sprockets are. Is there any chance that Ducati ever used a different rear wheel or sprocket carrier on any ST3s or did they just assemble some with the wrong spacers?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Woodsman,

Yes the rear frame has been shortened and the lower rear frame rail removed and replaced which makes it more like an early monster frame. Stock frame is designed to carry a paseenger and panniers and top box and tent and camping stove and a ton of other stuff, but that is never going to be an issue for me so I removed a little here and a little more there and stiched the bits up with an electric hot glue gun aka TIG welder.

·
Registered
830 Posts
no. the difference was the 1000ss was just a 900ssie with a different engine, and the 900ssie was rather a lot of the 900ss. same output shaft, swingarm, sprocket carrier and wheel, etc. the 916 introduced the 5mm longer output shaft, and that was used in the st series that followed from 97. so the 1000ss needed the front sprocket 5mm in from where everything else they made needed it.

not like the bottom end was easy to confuse. water pump? st3. no water pump, 1000ss. m1000 used the same spacer as the st3 and the same engine number sequence as the 1000ss, and i've not seen any of them wrong.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Thanks,

When I dig the ST back out, I will check the chain and sprocket alignment for sure. I will be fitting a new rear tire to match the front which I already replaced, so that time is coming soon.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I just checked teh bike and sprockets are out of line as Brad said. So then I looked up the parts lists. 2004 and 2005 list the spacer as 713.1.204.1A which is the incorrect short spacer 14.5mm. 2006 and 2007 parts list 713.1.157.1A which is superceded by 713.1.393.1A and that one is apparently 19.5mm.

Looks like Ducato not only fitted the wrong spacer to 2004 and 2005 models, they also listed the wrong spacer in the parts lists.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts