Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty new to cafe racers and am noticing the trend of having a seat that accommodates only one person. Im looking for a CB 500-750 and want my wife to be able to ride with me. Is that something that many people do or does the geometry of the bike discourage 2up riding? Also if I did ride 2up would rearsets be ok or would they get in the way of the pegs for her. I have seen a few seats that look like they are long enough for two but I just wanted to get some opinions from people who know more about this than I do.
Thank you and I appreciate all of the great info here.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You don't want a cafe bike if you want to ride 2-up.

Sure you can put a 2up seat on a cafe bike, but neither you or the passenger is going to like it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
more likely what you want is a GT bike, but you can call it a cafe racer if you want, as long as you improved the bike's performance in some way it can be both. A cafe racer is not defined by a single part, but rather the ethos of the bike - how it is used, if it is better than stock, etc.

generally a race replica cafe racer with clipons and rearsets is a solo bike. You don't see any race bikes carrying passengers and nobody wants the 150lb sack of potatoes on their back when they are trying to cut the next apex or are about to go knee down. there are bikes out there that have second seats under the tail section (ducati sport 1000 biposto, triumph thruxton, etc) but the ergonomics of those bikes were designed by professional engineers, they are compromised as far as cafe racers go, and really they aren't good for long rides anyway (esp fot he passenger). it just isn't good to have all the weight of a second person distorting your riding position, pressing on your wrists, and making you rider passive on a bike that needs you to be rider active.

so my suggestion is keep your stock seat, stock pegs, and get a set of adjustible clip ons or clubmans (tomaselli for the clubmans, convertibars for the clipons). that way you aren't riding the torture rack when you go 2 up, and you can still make it look "racy" when you want to be a douchebag and impress the people parked at the local starbucks. If you still want the cafe racer "street cred" then you should probably make the bike as light as possible, improve the suspension, and work the balls out of the engine.

or you can just own two bikes. CB hondas are cheap enough. Personally, I ride a worked GS750 as my 2 up ride. It has superbike bars, stock peg locations, a super comfy seat, piggy back shocks, fork brace, Kerker pipe, blueprinted carbs, barnett clutch, bar ends, and a host of other goodies. It gets used everyday, my wife loves it, and it is every inch a cafe racer.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
i try to stop myself i really do but you guys just coax me into it, youre all a bad influence :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tony my eyes are bleeding thanks a lot. I have a test in 3 hours and now I have to deal with this. haha.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey Toe, I think she would have trouble riding one up!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hoss puckey

most people are just too lazy to build the structure to support a two up seat regardless if glass or metal

I have little use for a street bike that can't accommodate an extra pair of fine legs

and since I dont do hefty

It aint a prob

I suppose I could find some pix

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Hack , i doubt if anyone would have the bottle to ride pillion with you anyways [:0]

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
They line up around the block for a chance at grabbing ahold of the saddlehorn

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

....... Personally, I ride a worked GS750 as my 2 up ride. It has superbike bars, stock peg locations, a super comfy seat, piggy back shocks, fork brace, Kerker pipe, blueprinted carbs, barnett clutch, bar ends, and a host of other goodies. It gets used everyday, my wife loves it, and it is every inch a cafe racer.......
I'm picturing a Superbike, not a Cafe Racer...;)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
who said they were any different hillsy?

The cafe racers and race replicas of the 60's and early 70's gave birth to the superbike movement. The DOHC cb750F/900F/1100F had bodywork inspired by Tracy bodies and Bol D'Or road racers. The Z1r, GS1000S, and CB1100F all took cues directly from what people were doing to customize their bikes (3/4 fairings, low bars, rear sets, 4 into 1 pipes). GS750 tail section was inspired by the ones seely was using on their bikes, SOHC CB750F humpback takes its shape from the CR750 racers. The superbikes were the natural evolution of the cafe racer and the un abashed factory endorsement of performance "cafe racer" motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts