Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my new Moto Guzzi breva 750 from Nashville, Tn to Memphis today, just 200 miles at ~80 mph, and it did just fine. My only
complaint is my head buffeting in the wind, and the wind noise. I want to get a taller windshield, but what else can I do to
help with fatigue from higher speeds for an extended period of time? I stopped at 150 miles for fuel and food, but when I go to Colorado this summer I'd like to be able to keep these stops to a minimum.
Aside from Witworth, do any of you guys recommend earplugs on the interstate? The bike itself is super quiet with the stock mufflers, so that noise isn't really part of the equation.
Thanks!
And if you think I'm retarded, just say that and don't waste a lot of time trying to insult me. This is the only bike forum I'm on anymore, and it's because you guys seem to have experience in more than just racing. But I don't race, I just ride these days, often to go work corners at a track to help keep racers safe, though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
What kind of helmet do you wear? I'd be curious about the effect one of them fancy aerodynamic ones would have

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Post a photo of your fairing, even better with you sitting on it. And a pic of your helmet.

Wind noise on a motorcycle is often louder than even a loud exhaust at highway speeds. Hence earplug advice.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I used to wear ear plugs in the early 90's. They worked really well at motorway speeds, but I hated them in town.
Helmets can make a huge difference.
I would have thought a screen similar to this would help a bit with the buffeting

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll up take a couple of pictures this afternoon and post them.
The windshield on my bike is the small one it came with, and the only helmet I have now is
my GMAX race helmet that seems aerodynamic, other than some kind of blocky shaped vents on top.
Steveo, is that your guzzi? It looks good! I haven't been able to find a windshield like that locally yet, but I know
they can be had online. I really believe that would solve any complaints I have. Does anyone have a link for
where to get a good quality one at a good price?
Does a windshield like that hurt fuel economy or cruising speed any?
answers bring out a few more questions, but I'm here to learn. I've had mostly naked bikes over the last decade,
but I must be getting old because I'm just now getting to the point where the wind is annoying haha.
One thing I have noticed about my helmet is that it takes wind a lot better in a hunched down crotch rocket position than
in the somewhat upright position this bike has. I have mostly ridden my R1 with this helmet, which had me in the head down, ass up state so wind wasn't really an issue under 160 mph or so...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here's the only picture I have of the bike handy, but I'll take more when the whole family easter ordeal is over.
I guess I will try some earplugs, I've just been afraid I'd miss the sound of a car trying to run me over. Thanks guys.
I haven't yet found a deal on a windshield specifically for this bike, most of those are either universal or $300 or both.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
"I've just been afraid I'd miss the sound of a car trying to run me over."

I'm a clean kill fan. I don't want to hear the car of slam. :)

Try taking off the mini screen and go ride at the same highway speed for a while to see if the turbulence is caused by it. It also might move the buffeting point to your chest, instead of your head.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
-plugs imo are a must for full day riding. I don't see it compromising the ability of sensing the surroundings
-I used a ghetto setup cheap fairing on the DR on my crosscountry trip. I did stretches of 80 and didn't think much about the fairing ever. Which means it worked pretty well.

IMG_0469-800.jpg

this
was some super generic (think o-rileys / autozone) fairing trimmed from bottom to kinda fit the DR

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Yup always earplugs. I even wear them when racing.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've used mainly Arai helmets and they are much better for wind/road noise with the small ear pads you can get for them.....not ear plugs. Even when my hearing was better it just never bothered me that much. I used earplugs in the past and never liked using them.

But here's the deal with our sport............ with the Guzzi your riding you are going to suffer wind buffering even if you put a sliding glass door as a fairing. It is inherent to the bike and there is some things you can do to improve it but with your style of bike but it is limited. That is the trade off the Guzzi is for longer trips. I've surrendered to a Goldwing for longer trips for that reason. When you take a bike, not intended for longer trips on longer trips you will be tired, beat up ed, your head will be ringing and your trips will lose all their appeal for enjoyment.

I would suggest a large windshield that is easily installed/removed just for special trips. I am not promoting Arai helmets but I've used all kinds and I found they are hands down the most comfortable for long rides and noise protection. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
-plugs imo are a must for full day riding. I don't see it compromising the ability of sensing the surroundings
-I used a ghetto setup cheap fairing on the DR on my crosscountry trip. I did stretches of 80 and didn't think much about the fairing ever. Which means it worked pretty well.

View attachment 13420

this
was some super generic (think o-rileys / autozone) fairing trimmed from bottom to kinda fit the DR
I can say that on my 93 DR many years ago I installed a small windshield that made everything worse. It was made for the 92/95 DR650 but for me it only pushed more wind up and back under my helmet. I used it for about 100 miles then ripped it off only leaving the mounts and threw it in the trash at an AM/PM store. I'm not that tall (6ft) but it was horrible. In that case....leaving it stock was ideal. Just my remembering thoughts.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i used to find any bmw with an adj screen was better for me with the screen down. on the fixed screen k100rt/lt shitboxes the tall screen would beat shit out of my head. if i hunched my head down a couple of inches, silence. but way too uncomfortable.

also the gap between shoulders and helmet bottom edge i find makes a huge difference to noise. the neck sock thingy i wear in winter on its own drops the sound massively. and a thicker winter jacket is better than a summer jacket.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Regardless of bike, you need a quality full - face helmet. I prefer middle of the range, and up, Arai's. You get what you pay for, in comfort and quietness, not even taking into account of their proven crashworthiness. Shoei's are pretty good too. If you have a pinhead, you might need an Agv, for a good fit.

The flip - type front helmets are pretty useful in touring and day to day riding. I got a good one for free, and it's great for city riding.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Hanging your helmet on the mirror is a great way to potentially damage the structural integrity of the styrofoam inside your helmet.
Alot of times a front fairing or screen can be the cause of buffeting at certain speeds. Experiment with different length( height) windscreens.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
I rode my 1100F up from long island yesterday.
WOW it got cold.

Was a windy day and at 80mph my neck was uncomfortable. I do need a new helmet though.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hanging your helmet on the mirror is a great way to potentially damage the structural integrity of the styrofoam inside your helmet.
Alot of times a front fairing or screen can be the cause of buffeting at certain speeds. Experiment with different length( height) windscreens.
Yeah, i think I'll need to borrow a few used ones to pick one that works.
As for the helmet, I never knew that could damage it? I've been doing that since I was 16.
I'll be getting bar end mirrors soon so it won't be an option for long anyway.
Thanks for the input! I'm going to try riding without the little bikini fairing tomorrow if it doesn't rain, and see if it does any better or different.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
200 miles is really a pretty short trip - but not bad for wringing out potential problems for longer trips. Helmet noise and buffing from wind would be greatly reduced with a better helmet. I'd recommend an Aria helmet but they are extremely expensive. I have several different leather riding jackets, some seem to cut the wind better that others. My best jacket for cutting the wind seems to be my old fashion buffalo type leather jacket. I think it has something to do with the fold back leather collars on the front of the jacket but who knows...

Adding a better windscreen in the long run may be your best option. I'm on the fence about wearing ear protection as I like to hear what's around me. Certainly wearing a decent helmet really does cut much of the wind noise down.

BTW - bar mirrors are the only way to go...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts