Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, it was 430 total over 2 days just as a shake down for a bike that I haven't had long.
Later this summer I'm planning to go to glacier national park on my way to visit my cousin in Boulder, CO, so I'm trying to iron this crap out before I go. The original plan was to do it on B roads on my cb350, but I decided that was a bad idea and bought
a newer, slightly bigger bike. I guess I'll try a few different windscreens, and try to save up for a better helmet.
My buddy wants to sell me a good looking HJC helmet that he only wore twice, so I'll see if he'll let me test ride with it to
See if it's any quieter and or more aerodynamic.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Yeah, it was 430 total over 2 days just as a shake down for a bike that I haven't had long.
Later this summer I'm planning to go to glacier national park on my way to visit my cousin in Boulder, CO, so I'm trying to iron this crap out before I go. The original plan was to do it on B roads on my cb350, but I decided that was a bad idea and bought
a newer, slightly bigger bike. I guess I'll try a few different windscreens, and try to save up for a better helmet.
My buddy wants to sell me a good looking HJC helmet that he only wore twice, so I'll see if he'll let me test ride with it to
See if it's any quieter and or more aerodynamic.
Forget HJC's: they are junk. The lining falls out. You get what you pay for.

Danger, is my business.'

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you weren't wearing a full face helmet then the HJC would be better. I know an Arai helmet is costly but you would probably never go back to anything else once you used one. A good Shoei is a little less.....a GOOD one.......... that might be another option. I learned a long time ago NEVER go cheap for a helmet unless you have to. That makes all the difference in your motorcycling experience.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The helmet I've been wearing wasn't exactly cheap, but I didn't really know any better at the time. The helmet i had before was a full face helmet, but was only $40, and whistled going down the road.
I got tired of that really fast, and spent something like $230 on the current helmet, and it is much better as far as noise than the first one. I've now had this helmet of 4 years or so, although I got out of motorcycles for a year or 2 and didn't wear it. I have found some Arai helmets for under $300 on ebay new, so I'lll probably get one of those, I just want to hold out for a plain white or silver one. The ones with all the graphics look dumb to me unless I'm on some crotch rocket with a similarly ridiculous paint scheme.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I had a HJC something or other full face before I got my new Shark. It was fine. It had a removable lining so you could wash it (nice in our heat) and was all-round pretty good. In fact it's better than the Shark in the rain as the rear sticks out a tad more - the Shark lets a dribble of water go down the back of my neck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I guess as far as a helmet goes, I'll do some research and read some reviews.
Hillsy, I found some very reasonably-priced shark helmets available online.
Would you recommend their full face helmet to someone who may only do one
or two track days a year, but rides a motorcycle usually a couple hundred miles
each week?
When it comes to the HJC, the price and condition are right, I just need to do a test ride.
For the price, if it's quieter than my current helmet, and it lasts a year, I will consider it a good purchase.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My understanding is the 'cheaper' Arai helmets on Ebay are knock-offs and do not meet USA road standards. I could be way off base but as always Buyer beware.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I don't know if the tank clearance would allow it, but slightly lower bars would get you hunched down a little, out of the wind blast and windstream. I'm only talking 1 1/2 or 2 inches, max.

Buying cheap helmets online is full of risk, one, being fakes, two, strange models with visors that are either mega dollars or unobtainable. Also you need to try a hat on in person for a good fit.

Buying cheap helmets is like saving health care costs by going to your second cousin the veterinarian.

Only buy helmets from the official importer.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My understanding is the 'cheaper' Arai helmets on Ebay are knock-offs and do not meet USA road standards. I could be way off base but as always Buyer beware.
I never knew they were making cheap knock-offs of an Arai helmet. That kinda explains why those carbon fiber ones were not that expensive.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I wouldn't generally buy helmets online. At least go and get a test fit in a real store. The priciest arai isn't worth the premium if it doesn't fit your head shape.
I bought a chinese made AFX dual sport helmet for dirt cheap. They get great reviews constantly and pass the ECE (some number) safety test (actual test unlike DOT). Its a dual sport helmet so its noisy, also its probably larger (thicker) than it would be if premium brand. That being said the build quality was great and it fit me pretty good.

The chinese stuff has come a long ways, it just varies so damn much that you really need to do your research.
AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Hi-Viz Helmet - RevZilla

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I guess as far as a helmet goes, I'll do some research and read some reviews.
Hillsy, I found some very reasonably-priced shark helmets available online.
Would you recommend their full face helmet to someone who may only do one
or two track days a year, but rides a motorcycle usually a couple hundred miles
each week?
When it comes to the HJC, the price and condition are right, I just need to do a test ride.
For the price, if it's quieter than my current helmet, and it lasts a year, I will consider it a good purchase.
Apart from the usual traps with buying anything online, you really need to try on a helmet to see if it fits. Often by the time you're ready to buy a new helmet that model isn't made anymore, so if your current Shoei XXX fits like a glove, it doesn't mean the new Shoei YYY is going to fit you. Also, if it has a warranty issue (lining coming apart, visor hinges, etc) you're pretty much screwed if you bought it online.

My Shark is a S9000 and it has a bladder in the cheek pads that can be inflated to "snug up" the helmet. Pretty neat idea as over time as the padding compresses and the helmet gets a little sloppy fitting, you can tighten it up. It actually has had a "warranty" repair - the stitching at the very back of the removable liner started to come apart, so my local dealer just swapped me a new liner (I doubt you'd get that sort of service online). Also a nice thing with this helmet is that it has a drop down sun visor inside the lining of the helmet (good for me because I wear prescription glasses).

My old HJC was a middle priced helmet (by HJC standards) and it was pretty good. I think they get their bad rep from their ultra cheap helmets.....which just feel ultra cheap.

I also tried a Bell CF helmet - it was nice but I couldn't wear my glasses with it so it was useless to me. The Shark had small removable pads to allow for glasses frames, the Bell did not.

BTW - I ride to work every weekday and do a weekend ride every 2nd weekend or so. And all these helmets are full face - I wouldn't wear anything else....ever.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I wear a good Aria open face helmet for about 80% of the riding I do, road, commuting, and Motocross use. It is quiet, comfortable and cuts through the wind just fine at speeds up to 90MPH. I prefer the better scope of vision. I wear Oakleys in the day, or cheap engineers safety glasses at night. I wear FF hats on fast sports bikes or at the RR track.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It turns out that my problem is not the helmet. I rode my cb350 for an hour or so yesterday and there was no excessive noise or wind buffeting up to 80 mph, but then I got back on the guzzi and did some experimenting with my hand to see where the wind was hitting me. With the stock bikini fairing, there is no wind hitting me below my chin, but from my chin up, not only am I getting the full force of the wind, but also whatever was deflected over the little windshield. So my observation is that the stock windscreen is designed for someone who is at least a foot shorter than me. I took the thing off, and although there is a little too much wind, it isn't hitting me right in the face. So now I'm back on the hunt for a taller windscreen, and as far far as a helmet goes, the dealer who sold me my current helmet has a new set of cheek pads for $25.
Now I really want a windshield that will fit nicely against the round headlight and not look like it belongs on a baby boomer's Harley. I really want the smallest thing I can find that will block just enough wind.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I have to admit that I enjoy an open face "around town" Don't use it on highways or long trips at speed though.
Ill actually go as far as to say that for those same trips if I was not legally required to have a helmet I would not.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Hey chief - I can't see what the edge of the fairing is like but you might want to try trimming it down a bit and see if that helps. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes trimming a little off a screen can more the wind blast enough to make the buffeting move to a more tolerable level.

Worth a try if you're going to buy another screen anyway.....

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
After a couple of minor accidents, I don't even wear an open face helmet on a 35mph scooter.
When I crashed a fee years ago, I slid so far that the pavement ground my full face helmet down until I got road rash on the very tip of my nose. If that had been an open face helmet, I wouldn't have a face. I wish I had taken some pictures of the helmet...
EDIT: thanks, Hillsy. I'll take a better picture, and probably try trimming once I've already found a new windscreen.
I'd hate to end up with something worse before I have another option.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
i once hit my head on a car hard enough to crack a full face and kill a tooth. open face makes me feel naked.
There are legitimate different safety reasons to choose a FF or an open face helmet. One transfers impact stress to the jaw, and one to the neck.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
There are legitimate different safety reasons to choose a FF or an open face helmet. One transfers impact stress to the jaw, and one to the neck.
One of your more dumber quotes....although there's so many.

Ever see a MotoGP rider wear a half face? No? Case closed.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts