Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have to admit that I enjoy an open face "around town" Don't use it on highways or long trips at speed though.
Ill actually go as far as to say that for those same trips if I was not legally required to have a helmet I would not.
When I lived in Kentucky, they didn't require people to wear helmets, my old boss said he felt safer without one, because of the decreased visibility and his own claustrophobia. I got made fun of constantly for wearing a full face helmet and motorcycle jacket even on mopeds. It may be uncomfortable sometimes, but not nearly as bad as losing my skin....
no judgment for those who don't like helmets or any other gear besides shorts and flip-flops, but I think it does lead to more Darwin awards among the inbred sister fucker bikers I've seen running around...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also regularly use an open faced helmet.
Mostly feel more evolved in the riding experience and figure that it better suits the style.
Don't see any full faced helmets with the ton up boys, and they lived to tell the tail.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
When I lived in Kentucky, they didn't require people to wear helmets, my old boss said he felt safer without one, because of the decreased visibility and his own claustrophobia. I got made fun of constantly for wearing a full face helmet and motorcycle jacket even on mopeds. It may be uncomfortable sometimes, but not nearly as bad as losing my skin....
no judgment for those who don't like helmets or any other gear besides shorts and flip-flops, but I think it does lead to more Darwin awards among the inbred sister fucker bikers I've seen running around...
I went down in shorts and flip-flops once too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It turns out that my problem is not the helmet. I rode my cb350 for an hour or so yesterday and there was no excessive noise or wind buffeting up to 80 mph, but then I got back on the guzzi and did some experimenting with my hand to see where the wind was hitting me. With the stock bikini fairing, there is no wind hitting me below my chin, but from my chin up, not only am I getting the full force of the wind, but also whatever was deflected over the little windshield. So my observation is that the stock windscreen is designed for someone who is at least a foot shorter than me. I took the thing off, and although there is a little too much wind, it isn't hitting me right in the face. So now I'm back on the hunt for a taller windscreen, and as far far as a helmet goes, the dealer who sold me my current helmet has a new set of cheek pads for $25.
Now I really want a windshield that will fit nicely against the round headlight and not look like it belongs on a baby boomer's Harley. I really want the smallest thing I can find that will block just enough wind.
Just a suggestion..... This screen isn't very pretty, but the height is adjustable.
Windshield Puig Up und Down Moto Guzzi Breva 750 W | eBay

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Mostly feel more evolved in the riding experience and figure that it better suits the style.
Don't see any full faced helmets with the ton up boys, and they lived to tell the tail.
Beter suits the style? Really?

And it's tale.....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I guess you meant ' involved " even.

Good road riding position for legal riding, BTW.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
7,013 Posts

Some of them did.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Steveo, that looks pretty close to what I want. That might be the one if I can't find something locally for cheap.
I'm still hoping one of my friends has something used I can put on for cheap.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I went down in shorts and flip-flops once too.
I'd ride completely naked in summer, if I could get away with it. As a matter of fact, I have done so a few times at night over the years. You get a good refreshing chill at 100MPH on the back roads.

I'll often ride around a city barefoot, barechested and shorts. Mainly just to piss the safety sams off: it works.

I know a hardcore Harley gang guy, who never wears shoes. Winter, summer, on the Hog, it don't matter to him. He's still got all his toes too, after doing it for decades. Go figure.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
hahaha. hilarious post. who or what are ton up boys btw? and quite a few old timer didn't make it to tell the tales.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
BTW, you have to have a screen's top edge pretty high to stop the wind blast hitting you straight on the helmet. I prefer to have the centre of the wind blast hit a bit lower, like to my neck or upper chest area. So I tend to prefer lower screens on touring bikes.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beter suits the style? Really?

And it's tale.....
Yes, the style is important.
Some things just go together a certain way

I guess you meant ' involved " even.

Good road riding position for legal riding, BTW.

Danger, is my business."
You did get me on the spelling. I am pulled in a million directions during the day.
Often spelling takes a hit.

The bike really does ride nice. I have so much fun on it.

Some of them did.
But some of them didn't.

hahaha. hilarious post. who or what are ton up boys btw? and quite a few old timer didn't make it to tell the tales.
I can not see how a place labeled "café racers" does not understand what the ton up boys were and what they represent now.
You might want to do some reading about the hobby that you are trying to be a part of.

People die on motorcycles now.
Does that mean no one will be able to talk about a Busa in 30 years?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I can not see how a place labeled "café racers" does not understand what the ton up boys were and what they represent now.
You might want to do some reading about the hobby that you are trying to be a part of.
Generally guys here avoid the whole " ton up " nonsense. It is a scant myth that has little relevance to today's motorcycling enthusiasts, that is if it ever really did. Which very much doubt. It was an entirely English thing anyway.

Regardless of what the custom café bike building T shirt companies and very bad café racer TV have to say on the matter.

Danger, is
my business."

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Honestly, I'm glad you're having fun and all, but to surpass safety for a look is just plain dumb.

Just my $0.02 but it might be worth more than that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Generally guys here avoid the whole " ton up " nonsense. It is a scant myth that has little relevance to today's motorcycling enthusiasts, that is if it ever really did. Which very much doubt. It was an entirely English thing anyway.

Regardless of what the custom café bike building T shirt companies and very bad café racer TV have to say on the matter.

Danger, is
my business."
So you are trying to say that all that history and all of those pictures from back in the day are made up BS?
Who said anything about T shirt companies?

41 - 60 of 92 Posts