Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
UPDATE:
I took the stock small windshield off, and the wind problem is no longer a
problem. The wind hits me squarely, but my helmet does not buffet, and the noise is reduced.
At the dealership where I bought my guzzi, there is another used Breva 750 with a factory accessory
touring windshield, so I made a deal with the salesman to trade my stock windscreen for the touring one.
I imagine it will totally shield me, but if not, the bike is completely tolerable to ride with no windscreen at
all. Thanks for the input, guys!
Pic without windscreen or bags:

pic of a tasteless joke that came with a tasty popsicle:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Well, I finally found a used windshield for relatively cheap and put it on my bike, and it looks pretty nice.
Unfortunately, it only blocks wind up to the top 6" or so of my helmet, then has a similar buffeting effect to the small one.
What do you guys think of one of those small upswept plexiglass pieces that goes at the top to change the way air moves there?
After 100 miles or so, I took the bigger windscreen off, and went back to naked bike.
That's been the best setup so far, except that over 80 mph, and especially over 100 mph the force of the wind pushing my
head back fatigues my neck after a while. (Slow the fuck down, right?)
Used touring windshield:

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I still think you should experiment with trimming down your original screen (if you don't care about destroying it's originality). You can often find a compromise with a shorter screen that works best for wind protection and low buffeting. Maybe try trimming half an inch off it at a time and see how it behaves on the road each time.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I still think you should experiment with trimming down your original screen (if you don't care about destroying it's originality). You can often find a compromise with a shorter screen that works best for wind protection and low buffeting. Maybe try trimming half an inch off it at a time and see how it behaves on the road each time.
I think I will try that with a small universal one next, Hillsy. I traded the small stock one for the larger Moto Guzzi European only touring windscreen, so I no longer have the little stock one.
I still have the option of a small Shoei faring that my buddy has, and an old one from an 80's v50, an old one from a 1000 cc Guzzi from the 70's, and a great big fuckin Vetter WindJammer that another buddy has.
The three that are actually permanent options would be the windscreen I have now, the Shoei one, or going naked, or what may come down the pike as time goes on.
The one that fits the look of the bike best IMO is the Guzzi windscreen I have, or none at all. The rest look pretty stupid with the modern style bodywork it has.
Maybe I should go to v7 classic bodywork and get Monkey to make me a fairing...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I vote for the Windjammer because the name says it all......but I don't think you could mount it. For a long haul it would be better. Remember wind comes up from underneath as well so the screen you have pictured looks nice on your Guzzi but I can already see the wind problems it would cause. The Windjammer addresses what is going on lower and wider with wind. Your bike sure looks nice though. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I still think for higher speeds you need some bars 1 to 1 1/2 inches lower. BTW, the chances of being comfortable on that bike sitting bolt upright at speeds over 75MPH is a bit slim, you need to lean forward a little. I don't know whether you have stumpy little arms, or ones like an Orang-utan's: ergos all add up.

I think you need to play around with a used old - school helmet visor, and a roll of duct tape. Stick it on the top of screen #2, and play around getting the wind punching height right. It often needs to be within 1 inch or so to be right at high cruising speeds.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks, knappyfeet, I dig it. My only issue with the windjammer is that it is soooo ugly, haha.
Witworth, I think that's a pretty good idea as well. The current windshield actually works very well everywhere but the top of my helmet, where it makes more noise and moves my head around more than without a fairing.
My bike actually had some nice quality bar risers on it that moved the bars up 3" and back about 2", and believe it or not, the wind wasn't as bad with those and the stock bikini fairing. But I wasn't comfortable, because I happen to have orangutan arms.
When I removed them, I was much more comfortable, and the bike looks better.
If I went any lower with the bars, I would have to get clip ons or clubman bars, because the stock bar is already very low, and I think a flat drag bar would hit the tank. I might just be too tall for this bike?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The playing around with a junk visor, regarding the fairing height wind-blast sweet spot allows you to determine the optimum height of another fairing, if you want to go down that route and buy a bigger or higher one.

I can't work out the height and tank clearance of your stock bars from photos. I would not be amazed if you could fit and find some a little lower, that still clears the tank.

Danger, is my business."

81 - 92 of 92 Posts