Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm Kieren from Sydney and have just bought an '81 Z500. I think its been a little butchered by the PO. It has a Z550 motor and some random Kawasaki 16" wheels (possibly GPZ250?) amongst other mysteries.
In any case, I think it will be a good bike for me to ride and play around with at the same time - I'd feel bad messing up a nice original example.
From the few threads I've browsed already I think I can learn a fair bit and I like the vibe; plenty of swearing, grumpy replies and no bullshit. Cool.

Initial plans are to simplify the front end and the back end. The front has a massive square headlight and big ugly dash/gauges. A simple round headlight and a digital speedo will do there. I'd like to simplify the tail as well and slim it down a bit but I'm still tossing around ideas for that bit.
First of all I need the bloody RTA to actually open up for a day so I can get it registered.

Feel free to say Hi or to yell abuse!
Cheers, Kieren.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, how many posts do I need before I can email other members?

·
Registered
744 Posts
do you need sensible rims for it? is it the triple disc model?

hello from queensland and the pm side of things is dodgy at best so it's best to just chuck up a thread with whomevers name in it.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
You can email right away but be warned, it sometimes ends up in a spam box.

Agree with engel, sensible wheels first. 16" wheels are garbage. A proper 18" front and rear should sort you out nicely.

·
Registered
744 Posts
have got a proper 19 and 18 81 kz500b set here is all kerry. they take up space i could otherwise fill with fun stuff. like things, and stuff, etc....

cover freight and a carton of strongbow and they are yours. if they fit.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Are you feeling ok, Geeto? That is a relatively civil and somewhat humane recommendation there on those 18 inch wheels.
Bwaaaaaaa! Urk. Wheeze. Snort.

·
Registered
23,296 Posts
Yeah I'm fine. I cut the Aussies some slack, you know prison country and all....

Engel, 19/18 is good to, that is stock, it you can help him out, put dosh in your pocket and and space, all the more power to ya!

·
Registered
744 Posts
he's hoping to get in good with us convicts tony. prison shower sex and all that.

are you able to use photobucket kieren? a shot of the proceedings would be welcomed by most i'd gamble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, looks like that worked OK.
So it seems most of the bike has been butchered or modded at some stage. Engine, wheels, bad reupholstering job on the seat, missing one front brake (these wheels only have one disc), pod filters fitted, headlight/speedo/front blinkers all look dodgy to me - you guys can probably pick out more!
On a positive note, at least I won't feel bad if I go changing stuff around. This is the first bike I'll be really mod'ing at all, I'd feel bad hacking up a nice original example.

I'm not sure what was going on with the emails but I was definitely getting a message saying I didn't have enough posts to email another member - admittedly it was straight after my frst login and I'd not posted at all. Anyway, it was you Engel that I wanted to contact about your wheels, haha. I found a thread from a year ago about the rolling bike you salvaged and was hoping you'd be able to sort me out - I think we can definitely do a deal there. Email me: kgb *at* hotmail.com.au and we'll sort it out. My post code is 2230 if you can get a quote for the courier.

Maybe the 16's would be good for a motard project.... Just need to buy another bike.

Thanks for the posts so far. Oh, got it registered today as well and took it for a spin. Then went to a mates place so he could go for a ride and he ran out of petrol 1km down the road. Awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, engel, that was the thread that made me register!

The green and gold is not too bad. Original wheels were always on the list but I figured the 16's would do the job until I sorted out the rest of the things bugging me. Turns out they could be one of the first things I swap.

·
Registered
744 Posts
you googled z500? and found here? ya mad bugger.

i got here from lookin for dimensions on suzuki titan drums. and found an orgy of nutters who are good value.

will get dimensions, weight, and start obtaining quotes. any preferred courier? will email when i've something concrete. may have headlight brackets still as well.

small fucken world huh?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers guys. I must admit, the photo makes it look a bit nicer than it is although the tank, side covers and tail are in very good condition. A lot of the "black" bits have been given a dodgy backyad paint job and look a bit nasty.
An Eddie Lawson replica would be cool no doubt, but primarily this bike has to be a workhorse and I'll be playing around with it on the side. Whatever I do, I'll be keeping the original bits aside and making sure its all reversible. I'm definitely not planning on just hacking shit up.

The other day I was stepping off the bike and got a nice stab in the thigh plus a rip in my pants due to a 2cm self tapping screw the prev owner had used to attach the vinyl to the under side of the seat pan - who the fuck puts a fat screw pointing upwards into a seat right where your leg goes?!?!?!?!

engel: I've found E-go couriers to be pretty cheap and reliable, plus there is a depot near me (Taren Point). Actually, a depot collection would probably be best, especially if it saves a bit of coin. I'm on holidays all month but would rather not spend it waiting at home for a delivery.

The front brake is shit as well, I've bled it because it was easy and I had some fluid handy but I think it needs new pistons and a rebuild. I'm hoping the caliper on there is one of the original ones so I can attempt to order the right kit for the rebuild.

·
Registered
744 Posts
missed me by a month.

stayed in "the shire" and made a few runs round taren/caringbah in november.

do you want the tyres stripped off to lessen the weight as this pairs fucked.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts