Cafe Racer Forum banner

Rough couple days at IOM

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  woodsman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
what was the cause of the Guy Martin crash? It sounded like the bike went into neutral and forced him into the curb. Was it a missed shift or mechanical failure? he definitely dodged a bullet there.

#4 · (Edited)
i cant imagine the gearbox being the complete issue ,its not like they are using a motogp spec seamless box
but the throttle is fly by wire the goddam rider is not in complete COMMAND
I can imagine the computer jinking with the engines power manegement during a gearchange ..

AFTER ALL, positive engagement of a downshift in my opinion can rely in A HUGE way on the train of power flow usually a matched rpm and a release of power by the riders wrist helps enable a full complete engagement of the downshift.

If the goddam computer is getting fluffy or confused....jerking power, say in very quick ,on-off cycles.. could it not cause the downshift to fail ?
the big man said gimme cables and carburetors ,i think,sounds like mcguiness does as well,think its kinda bullshit to try to make the computer be the rider

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
I can see I may be the only one that agrees with this statement.

Everything doesn't have to be forever and most things end.

Imagine putting a small house or a picket fence at Donington? Right along a harpin? Or how about a brick wall with a trench at Qatar? The talk about runouts? The modern race machines have long outgrown this course and even though folks line up for this romantic love affair with the past...........like pimp said....there are other places to seek fame and glory. Imagine if the NFL had what essentially is 2 or 3 deaths a year at games? The game is violent and fast and dangerous yet the NFL strives to make the game safer for its participants. No leather helmets, converse shoes and chop blocks anymore.......we've all out grown it. Deaths at the IOM need to be outgrown as well.

#8 ·
I do not really see an issue with this.
The danger is well known.
IF the grids were empty and no one wanted to run then find, wrap it up.
BUT people line up each year, knowing the risk, to run.

Freedom at its best.

#9 ·
Nobody likes seeing racers die....neither while racing, nor off-track. We all give a fuck, as we should. That said, it IS up to each racer to determine their own "acceptable level of risk". When I raced at Rockingham in '89, I decided that I'd never race there again, and that I had no interest in racing at Daytona. Obviously, many others haven't reached the same judgements....though WERA stopped going to Rockingham several years before the track closed, so some did.

All that said, IOM is a very unique venue. One with a long and storied history. One that has created and cemented legends for years. I mean, have we ever seen McGuinness in BSB? WSBK? How about Joey Dunlop? Without the IOM TT, we'd not be talking about either of these gentlemen. Guys like Ago and Hailwood furthered their legends at the TT, but would have been legendary regardless of their participation there.

IOW, it's a sticky wicket, this race is. Yeah, I'd love to do a lap of the TT course....but absolutely not at speed! I DO respect those that want to take it on....it takes HUGE balls to race there on current level equipment! It IS possible that the bikes have outgrown the course's ability to contain them. But as jaguar said, as long as people line up in sufficient numbers to fill the grids, it won't be an easy call to stop the event forever. It's a difficult spot for racing in general.

#10 ·
Mcguiness has raced bsb, mostly stockers, like Hutchy and rutter et al. NI still has numerous road races, the IoM has the southern 100, MGP and classic TT too. Some people don't get it but personally just going round the course on a bog standard day was brilliant and I'd love to race in the MGP, probably on the supertwins, as cheap. At the end of the day the racers want to race, the island wants the races and the public turn up every year, not to mention the worldwide appeal.

#11 ·
Thinking further, I've seen folks complaining (elsewhere) about the trend towards paved runoff areas on newer, or re-worked, tracks; and that they effectively remove one of the deterrents to "trying too hard"! By giving riders a way to avoid crashing! WTF? You make a mistake in the heat of battle, you somehow DESERVE to risk injury or death??? In that light, I suppose the TT is the ultimate arbiter of rider ability, no?

>shakes head<

#13 ·
I raced for 16 seasons....no "bubble boy" here! That doesn't mean that I object to all the runoff available at, say, COTA; versus what's NOT available at, say, Road Atlanta. Just saying that I don't understand the mindset that says "death NEEDS to be a potential consequence" of racing, that's all. Minimizing that risk is in EVERYONE'S interest.

Isn't it?

#19 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
you could race 200mph for 15 years on the world stage and loose yer life training on a bicycle too
as i see it its a cultural deal big time in ireland you cant stop it who will stop it ? let them carry on look at the amount of miles at high speed add them up every year its safe as can be and thats enough

in 82 when my close friend jon woo was killed at laguna the old turn 2 testing for hrc,a private test
man,woo could ride, he was a total natural on his way to be world champion hrc utl gettl they were itching to give him factory iron
tragcally horribly fucked it wes
at tests end they were going to flag him in, his young wife said let ride some more he is having so much fun he was a.lone on the track i asked the honda boys at johns service but nobody even saw the point of traction loss but it was the front had to be
man it was aweful for her for everybody woo was totally livin the dream on his way up just lit the rocket
everybody loved jon woo something like hayden just the best guy you could know
we used to race mx and pit together stumble outta the van in a cloud of smoke ,"man we have another moto" bultacos were the shit for us pomeroy replicas i had a 360 woo a 250
then he got a kz1000 i had my kz900 and we went up feather river canyon
i tole im,man thats was the scariest shity i have ever done, thats too fast, man,go do the road racing ,but ,you need to keep it at the track
in 82 there were other seroius injuries bruce hammer paralyzed
everybody got together and formed the jon woo memorial safety project they told the promotoers to fix the glaring danger shit that does not belong on a closed course purpose built race track
and it worked laguna they knocked back the dirt weal, that was a too close then they made it longer and much safer a few years later thanks to kenny roberts ,kenny got the gp's,see, with the new layout fim leagal in length
the usa tracks are still stoneage comparted to a tilken f1 track but way betterr i mean you gotta at least have decent runoff on a high speed turn on a race track ,no reason not too

however ROAD RACING its not the same thing ,real road racing is just that
but even motogp the tracks are now designed with so much for the rider to avoid the big stop but it still happens lois salom just a year ago they deamed it to little runoff
but shit look at jack millers yardsale he just had boom he was on the wall

we can only do so much closed circuits ,racing tracks do need to be designed with all thoughts of removing unsafe shit
woo would have been multiple world champion if not for an dirt enmbankment and a "funny" new to him 16" front tar

but the days of danger tracks are no more,but racers on roads are a freak of racing let em be Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

woo used to say with a huge grin
nickerson it's soooo bitchen

#24 · (Edited)
XB, great video, thanks for posting.

Hinds death was obviously a real tragedy. I loved his explanation of the mindset of a road racer using the guy that had just returned to racing after an amputation and was sitting on the 10 gallons of AV gas while smoking a cigarette with an ear to ear grin. They smash themselves, recover and jump back on the bike..they are adults just enjoying life their way. It's not my place to say it is to dangerous for them.
Between 2012 and 2016 nearly 70 people died on Mt Everest, I haven't heard any talk of banning climbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.