Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new clubman bars for my bike. I want to run the control wires in the bars. I saw a post not to long ago saying that someone used a grinder to cut holes in the center of the bars and at each control position. Is this the best way? Any other methods?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
if you are going them in the bars i'm not sure how else you'd do it. i imagine it's going to be pretty challenging to run the wires around that angle at the weld without tearing up the sheilding.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
First off which clubmans do you have? generic pointy tipped ones or tomaselli style open ended ones? are they even the right size? do you have enough of a bar to

I can't begin to tell you what a piss poor choice of bar you have chosen for a cb750 but sometimes you can't help your sexual preference.

The easiest way is to notch the controls and run the wires externally.

if you are dead set on internally wired bars there are two ways of doing this. Honda on it's accessory clubmans had two sets of holes drilled and milled into the bar, One for where the controls went in and the other for where they came out. Typically this was done on a milling machine so as not to create any serraded edges and far enough from the tip so as not to structurally weaken the bar.

Another way I have seen them is with the entrance hole on the bar itself and the exit hole on the loop so the wiring goes straight out. I personally like this way because it looks cleaner and you don't have to worry about spacing for the mastercylinder on the right side.

If you don't have access to a milling machine you can make the holes with a drill and a couple of files (or a dremel).

·
Registered
148 Posts
hi, i just wanted to suggest another option. if u aren't streamlining the bike, making a show bike, or just want a rather easy way to route the wires u could do what i have done to a few older bikes. i drilled a pilot hole in the bottom of each unit and making sure to not affect the function of any components then drilled a hole large enough to route the bundles out of the controls. i ran both bundles along the other cables (clutch on left and throttle on right) and it does a fine job for my tastes. of course none of these bikes have been super clean or show bikes, but other than a mishap when i cut a hole and didn't smooth the sharp edge i have had no problems to speak of, yet. hope it helps

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not set on any bars. I was just excited when i bought the bike and bought some ebay clumbans. I have no idea what type they are. They have caps in the ends. After I put them on, they do seem a little akward.

Gehtoo, what bars do you suggest? I am going to use the original speedo and tach, if that matters. Give me some ideas, other than telling me what a piss poor decision I made.

I think the clipons look cooler, i just didn't know any better. As you may know, this is the first bike I have done any work on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you do not have rearsets, the lowest bar I would go is a drag bar, although superbike bars are really comfortable and european looking. If you go drag bars you still have to be careful that the left control housing doesn't hit the tank. Clubmans and clipons without rearsets tend to bunch the rider up on the bike and can lead to back and wrist problems as well as severe leg cramping when riding. If you still insist on having those "race bike" style low bars, spend the money and get an adjustable set of clubmans like the ones tomaselli makes, as the adjustment will make the bars much much easier to install and you can set them up to not be as problematic as the fixed cheapie clubmans. Personally I am a clipon guy, there is just way more adjustability in a common pair of cheap clipons than in any fixed clubman bar.

The problem with clubmans (which if you bothered to search this site you would have learned) is that they are not the kind of bars that an amature should really tackle as his/her first project because they require a lot more problem solving than other bars, espically on a cb750 with those big goofy gauges and overly large side exit master cylinder. Clubmans were originally designed for the skinny european bikes in the 1960s and as such tend to be a cramped fit for the larger bikes. There are clubmans specially made for larger bikes but nobody ever seems to check the dimensions before buying, and there are literally thousands of different clubmans being made, all looking alike.

One thing you have to be careful about on a cb750 is clubman rash. It is really easy to set those bars up to hit the tank which is something you don't want to do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have rear sets, i will be mounting them after I put on my new exhaust. I think I'll keep the wires outside, sounds way easier.

Ghetto, the bars do not hit the tank. I turned the tire side to side and the bars do not hit the tank, either do my hands when they are on the bars.

I can see how adjustable bars would be easier but i think the ones I have will do fine.

I'll take a picture in the next couple days and post it in the project section.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
tex - sure a steering stop could be fabbed up, but there are ways to angle clubmans so they don't hit also. Me thinks that the idea of fabbing anything would blow the minds of the people having trouble fitting clubmans without hitting the tank.

mut - you have rearsets and your bars don't hit the tank, then by all means clubman away. Personally if I had to buy a fixed clubman bar I would go for a non-adjustable tomaselli clubman since the loops tend to be wider and the bars longer. buying just any old bar off of ebay could be hit or miss.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i am a fan of skinny tanks which of course work fine with many clubmans. i'm also a singles fan. a skinny tank over a transverse four would probabley look pretty dumb. clip-ons without rearsets will yield a pretty bizzare position. go with clip ons, rear sets, and bang some dents into the stock tank to loose the curse of the toaster look. lots of swoopy fibreglass tanks available these days as well...matched up with a trim little solo seat. wires? man this went off thread.
-parks

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
before cutting your cables.. make sure you wipe off the slime from my vasectomy... ha ha

texy.. if you try groaping my chest, I'll put you in that thong and make you squeel like a pig

latered

1 - 14 of 14 Posts