Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
anybody got a pic of the cb750 retro concept from 2000-2001 that honda showed at the toyko motorcycle show? I wonder if the new bike is going to look like that or the current cb750 they sell in japan.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Sounds pretty cool....got a feeling it won't sell particularly well though. Most of the guys old to enough to have owned the original bike are in their mid to late 50's. Not sure how big that market is. Now if they could sneak in some chassis, suspension, brake and engine refinements...
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
considering there are all kinds of geeked out hipsters in brooklyn paying new bike prices for old cafe bike cb750s a new one with a warranty would seem like a great idea.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Last months issue of Cycle World (or is it cycle guide????the one Peter Egan writes for) had a small article about how hot retro styled bikes (not crusiers) are in Japan. They showed a few shots. I had to do a double take on the CB400, the tank looked just like a 69 CB350.

They said that importing these to the US was iffy.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The US doesn't view motorcycles the way the rest of the world does so selling practical motorcycles here is always dicey. With the increase in gas prices maybe more 'muricans will start seeing bikes as useful transport rather than toys and we'll catch up with the rest of the world.

Aside from the triumph bonnie, duc sportclassic, and zxr1200 every retro bike sold here is a huge flop. Personally I would like to see a more practical bike here in the US like the cb750 but keep in mind the last all arounder bike honda sold here was the nighthawk (ick). Personally I can't believe that honda chose to sell the nighthawk here while the cb750 (with the same motor) continued to sell everywhere else.

as a motorcycling country we suck.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I used to get mad at the people that made fun of the "Milk Crate" crowd....cause to me those people are the ones that keep motorcycling alive. Some geek that rides his 20 year old honda day in and day out, rain or shine with his milk crate bungied on the back with his lunch and tools. Like Geets said...transportation pure and simple.

Saw a guy buzz by the house about 5:30am this morning in the fog on some kind of 80's four cylinder kawi or Suzi with a windjammer on it...did my heart good.

Somewhere I have a pic of my Dad sitting on his CB750 making some kind of crazy face, back in the 70's.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Around here (OH) I'm seeing more and more Chinese scoots and mopeds. Cheap, economical transportation. Kinda helps that there's a dealer a couple of blocks away I suppose...

It would be nice to see the big four make an effort to compete for this market by importing more of their lightweight/middleweight bikes (like the SR400 or the CB400SS, hell I hear there's even an SV400) now that the neo-chopper douchebag craze finally seems to be dying.

Honda go sideways!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That CB750 is a beauty...that would sell here I bet.

Wonder if that Benly50 is Giro Legal....looks period correct.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
That CB750 is a beauty...that would sell here I bet.
espically when you consider that it would basically be competeting with the sv650 and the ninja 650 (despite not being a twin). It is about the same size as those bikes but has that wonderful 4 cylinder sound and ease of use.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
if gas hits $5-6 a gallon.....

that's when america will decide to ride scooters and motorcycles.

my thoughts,

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a-ha, found one:

This is the concept honda pitched back in 2001 as a cb750 revival (using a nighthawk 750 motor). In 2003 they started building the cb750 you see on the japan website above. Chances are if they bring the cb750 back it will be the same one they make in japan, but how I wish it was this cool concept bike in stead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts