Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard that the ex500 and the gs500f are being discontinued... anyone else hear this?
just when i was upset that yamaha didn't have any inline twos on the market, the market gets rid of two more. please tell me they are just changing stuff up, and not getting rid of the two cylinder lineup.

·
Registered
699 Posts
kawasaki has the ninja 650 that kinda replaces the 500 IMO. i would say that the ninja 250 revamp with only like a $300 price increase was to put the 500 out to pasture so they can go 250-650 and then get people wanting the 4 cylinders. i have no theory on the suzuki other than the sales numbers must be low. suzuki is selling so many busa's that it doesn't matter possibly!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The only rumor I have heard about the ex500 was two years ago when kawasaki was thinking about dropping the ex500 because they were introducing the ninja 650r. It didn't happen and the little 500 soldiers on. BTW the Ninja 650 and the versyes (which use the same motor) are both parallel twins (as is the ex250) which means if they dropped the ex500 there would still be 3 parallel twin in the sport standard market (for years there were only 2 - the 250 and 500).

to be honest I am not sure there is room in the US market for a 500cc parallel twin considering the popularity of both the ex250 and the sv650/ninja650 (not to mention the hyousungs). besides, v-twins are where it is at - thinner, better balanced, and look and sound unmatched. The only real bummer is that the only beginner sport bikes would be the ex kawi.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i think the 650r is a really great looking bike. theres one on my street now. i drive by it yearning for it.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

i think the 650r is a really great looking bike. theres one on my street now. i drive by it yearning for it.

jc
when we went to vegas last year for my buddy's birthday we rented one for 3 days. It was awesome. We took it to redrock park and had a blast fucking around on it. I gave myself a nasty roadrash scrape putting my knee down with it in just a pair of jeans. I think it is better than the sv650 but if the sv lovers ever heard me say that they would string me up by the nuts. I really think that kawasaki needs a 1000cc version of that motor too. If for no other reason than to offset the drivetrain losses caused by the shaft drive on the versys. Plus it would be cool to see kawi sticking it to the sv1000.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A friend of mine has a Ninja 650R and it is a absolutely great machine. I have never rode a EX500(only my wifes EX250)but I can't imagine it being a better machine than the Ninja 650R.

If they would have had that bike out when I sold my old Yamaha Seca 400 and big ass VFR1000R I may have bought one of them instead of getting a used 1988 Honda CBR600 like I did. It would have been a tough decision at the time.

The Ninja 650R is such an excellent upgrade from the EX250 I could see why riders would skip right over the EX500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts