Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my defensive driving skills. You know, trying really hard to practice safety stuff. I posted the first one here not that long ago, but it made sense to put it here again. Click either one for a larger view.

You know, if I were in Mexico, this would be perfectly normal, plus I'd have my 7 kids lined up back there. Besides, it is not all that far to the hardware store, and the best little Mexican soda place is right on the way home -- it sells rice horchata.

I recently got an old "boat anchor" motor running, but the clutch was stuck from sitting. I needed some way to hook up my auxiliary tank so I could drive the bike and 'bump' the clutch loose. While it worked beautifully, you should have seen me trying to push start the thing with no clutch and that tank dangling there. DAMN! I swear I wish my buddy took this picture while I had a lit cigarette in my mouth. Now that would be a hundred times better.

I also wish I had a picture of the time I moved a full sized mattress and most of the rest of my dorm room from Dallas to Houston on the back of an old '80 Goldwing.... That would fit in perfectly here.

Come on now. Lets see some of your own cafe racer 'safety' pics!

Peace and grease.
-fang

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
shit, i wish i had that one of the steib with the 250bsa in it of tunrbulls. drove it from virginia to baltimore that way.

great pics man. im glad im not the only one. the gas one is hilarious. nice to see youre wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
shit, i wish i had that one of the steib with the 250bsa in it of tunrbulls. drove it from virginia to baltimore that way.

great pics man. im glad im not the only one. the gas one is hilarious. nice to see youre wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fang - nothing says "safety" like a flake stars'n bars buco but if you want the home cheapo run to really stand out you need a pair of hooters girl shorts for a flag. everything else looks cool.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fang - nothing says "safety" like a flake stars'n bars buco but if you want the home cheapo run to really stand out you need a pair of hooters girl shorts for a flag. everything else looks cool.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got that old helmet from an actors' garage sale about 7 years ago. It had no liner, so I don't know what brand it is. The Styrofoam was all there, but the liner's fitting foam was mostly gone. Several years ago I glued my own foam in there so it fits pretty good now.

What can I say? I just like the helmet and I wear it a lot.

peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got that old helmet from an actors' garage sale about 7 years ago. It had no liner, so I don't know what brand it is. The Styrofoam was all there, but the liner's fitting foam was mostly gone. Several years ago I glued my own foam in there so it fits pretty good now.

What can I say? I just like the helmet and I wear it a lot.

peace and grease,
-fang

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
Although I don't have any photographic evidence of it, I once took the K5 cb750 apple picking with the wife. because my wife likes to make apple pies and I like to eat apple pies we got a little overzealous. we had two backpacks and both saddlebags stuffed with apples of all sorts (and one pumpkin I think). I had to wear my backpack on my chest and rest it on the tank because I think it had something like 40 lbs of apples in it. at one point on the way home I took one of the apples out of the bag and started eating it while riding (I was wearing a davida jet helmet), people were looking at me really funny. Also we couldn't close the saddle bags with all the apples in so I had to use two mesh seat straps to hold them all in - but you could see the apples clearly if you were in the car next to us. At one point in traffic a little kid trued to reach out from the back seat of his parents car to grab an apple.

Anyway, we rode 90 miles from CT to NYC on highways looking like we picked the orchard clean and the bike having an inch of suspension travel from being overloaded.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
Although I don't have any photographic evidence of it, I once took the K5 cb750 apple picking with the wife. because my wife likes to make apple pies and I like to eat apple pies we got a little overzealous. we had two backpacks and both saddlebags stuffed with apples of all sorts (and one pumpkin I think). I had to wear my backpack on my chest and rest it on the tank because I think it had something like 40 lbs of apples in it. at one point on the way home I took one of the apples out of the bag and started eating it while riding (I was wearing a davida jet helmet), people were looking at me really funny. Also we couldn't close the saddle bags with all the apples in so I had to use two mesh seat straps to hold them all in - but you could see the apples clearly if you were in the car next to us. At one point in traffic a little kid trued to reach out from the back seat of his parents car to grab an apple.

Anyway, we rode 90 miles from CT to NYC on highways looking like we picked the orchard clean and the bike having an inch of suspension travel from being overloaded.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
I completely forgot the best part of the story.....

On the way up (without the apples) we stopped for gas and there were two guys in full gear on ST1300s. One of them sees us pull in and comes over to talk. For some reason, the guy was floored that we rode a 1975 bike from NYC to CT....like I had just crossed the gobi desert on a razor scooter. He asked me if I was afraid of it breaking down and asked him about the same about his st1300 - he got real defensive about that. if only he could have seen us on the way back.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
I completely forgot the best part of the story.....

On the way up (without the apples) we stopped for gas and there were two guys in full gear on ST1300s. One of them sees us pull in and comes over to talk. For some reason, the guy was floored that we rode a 1975 bike from NYC to CT....like I had just crossed the gobi desert on a razor scooter. He asked me if I was afraid of it breaking down and asked him about the same about his st1300 - he got real defensive about that. if only he could have seen us on the way back.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Fang
Peace and grease.
-fang
What I want to know was when were you going to tell us you are doing Castrol commercials? I thought you were a loyal Amsoil guy? And what's up with the Scottish accent? "Think wit yer dipstick, Jimmie!!!"

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Fang
Peace and grease.
-fang
What I want to know was when were you going to tell us you are doing Castrol commercials? I thought you were a loyal Amsoil guy? And what's up with the Scottish accent? "Think wit yer dipstick, Jimmie!!!"

Jim

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That first pic just about shot coffee outta my nose. Too funny!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts