Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(heavy breathing): Hey, who here has got some explicit and up close pics of safety wire examples from, say, a hot little CB350 twin prepped for racing? that would really be hot. Just thinking about all that twisted stainless steel wire, and avoiding catastrophic failures, gets me going.

Seriously though, im not asking you to go out to your freezing ass shop and take close ups of all the necessary hookups (not necessarily,) just looking for resources and examples to get through a tech inspection.
Thanks

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i should have taken pics of the SR500 i raced at mid-o last year. david goldstein was a pretty manic safety wirer!

he wired stuff that was just plain re-dick to do...but he was skilled and none of it looked sloppy.

i'd photo my stuff but it is average at best.

cheers,

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i should have taken pics of the SR500 i raced at mid-o last year. david goldstein was a pretty manic safety wirer!

he wired stuff that was just plain re-dick to do...but he was skilled and none of it looked sloppy.

i'd photo my stuff but it is average at best.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
239 Posts
I googled it. The question arose when I noticed the requirement in the USCRA 2009 rule book, making me wonder immediately how many small drill bits I could break trying to put holes for safety wire somewhere in a master link. The illustrated method is simple enough, but it's hard to imagine that it won't just chafe off, and/or play hell with an alloy rear sprocket.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I googled it. The question arose when I noticed the requirement in the USCRA 2009 rule book, making me wonder immediately how many small drill bits I could break trying to put holes for safety wire somewhere in a master link. The illustrated method is simple enough, but it's hard to imagine that it won't just chafe off, and/or play hell with an alloy rear sprocket.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Jack do you have safety wire pliers? What dia wire are you using? I find it easier to "close the loop and spin" at the TOP of the chain, not in the middle, and then fold it down over the link facing down. You do have your clip in the right direction, yes?

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Jack do you have safety wire pliers? What dia wire are you using? I find it easier to "close the loop and spin" at the TOP of the chain, not in the middle, and then fold it down over the link facing down. You do have your clip in the right direction, yes?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Unga, especially with multiple wraps, I think it would be easy to build up wire to the point that it touched the sprocket. Also easy not to, of course.

Scott, all good points. I do have safety wire pliers; I'm using .032" wire; and my master links point in the right direction (learned that the hard way a long time ago - finally figured out why that Norton Dom 88 was throwing its chain every few hundred yards); but FYI that's not my chain or master link wrap: it's just a pic I googled up from the 'net.

Reminds me of that old story that goes "does your dog bite...?"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts