Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some wiring to do. I get screwed up trying to do three or more fasteners with one run of wire. I can get it done , but I'm usually not happy with how it looks. Anybody got any tips?

There has to be some kind a manual out there from the aircraft industry.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
are you using a twister?? you have to use the twister. there are only a few places that would require you to go fastener to fastener like that. rear sprocket is one. front brake carrier could be another. personally, i love wiring shit up. its bitchen when its done.

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Take your time. That is the only real 'tip' I could give. It takes a while to get the hang of it but once you do it's cake, can be done in seconds. For multiple bolts in a row the reverse-able pliers are awesome. If snapping wire is an issue go up a gauge I use 25 or 30. I think the rules specify 25 or larger?

oh, milbar makes a smooth jaw plier, the tigerwave. very NICE.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just make sure you are wiring the bolts to be in tension and it should work out fine. Using a pair of twisting safety wire pliers is a must in order to get them tight and even.

·
Registered
838 Posts
After you've trimmed the ends of the safety wire don't forget to curl the sharp tips with a pair of needle nosed pliers. It saves getting stitches when working on the bike later.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys...

I love the look of a well done wire job. I'm wiring on my ex-gf's son's pocket bike, with no suspension and the junk fasteners nothing will stay tight. Ended up taking a mental health day and working on it most of the day today. Everything came out good except the sprocket bolts could be prettier.

Used .028 wire, drilled 1/16" holes and then countersunk/deburred them w/a 3/32" bit. Had a Progressive Suspension safety wire washer kit that I'd never used. It saved me on one set of bolts, but I don't know if I'd use them on anything critical. Was just clamping the bolts in a vise w/brass jaws. Only broke one bit all day, but one of those fixture thingies would sure be nice.

Here's my tip; It's easier to make the wire shorter than it is to make it longer. I wasted a bunch of wire first thing this morning trying not to waste any wire. Next time just for peace of mind I'll have a new roll in my toolbox so that I know no matter how much I screw up I won't run out of wire.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I use a 1/16" cobalt drill bit...worth the few extra pennies. I can usualy get about 20 bolts/nuts done before I break or dull one. I chamfer the holes with a little ball end bit in a dremel tool.
JohnnyB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts