Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look for the best bike to convert, need a runner (bot too high miles but complete)

not a 1000cc 650ish.

like to keep £2000 as the budget to buy the bike. any ideas please

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Moto Guzzi.

... but it's just a guess because I have no idea what you could actually buy in London for £2000
and moto guzzi looks :cool: because she has nice big jugs.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve done a custom “build”, but have been giving it some thought recently.
I bought a 600 Hornet 2 years ago for commuting and it’s an cracking little bike, in fact I can’t fault it. Good brakes, more than fast enough, very reliable, and excellent fuel consumption. You can pick up a very nice one for £1500.
With that in mind I think it could make a good start for a project, alternatively a 600 Bandit or XJ600.
7dc7d3d4-c659-4319-9095-ee05089510cf.jpg
vintageaddiction-honda-hornet-1.jpg

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Seen a nice Norton Commando for sale today, 10 grand US$ will buy it if anyone has interest,
it's from a motorcycle dealer.

almost tempted to buy it myself but the insurance in ontario is brutal, it would collect dust.

·
Registered
829 Posts
i think the most important first step is to decide what you want the finished thing to be. if you want a classic cafe racer tank and straight top frame rail under the seat you really need an old style frame and that defines what you buy. nothing modern really has that frame. the 900 hornet did sort of - it was a bent steel rectangular tube. not sure if the 600 used that or not.

work out where you want to end up, then work back. no idea on uk values, but sometimes it's worth paying more up front. check out steveo's previous honda redo to see how basic costs go nuts.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
85 Posts
Seen a nice Norton Commando for sale today, 10 grand US$ will buy it if anyone has interest,
it's from a motorcycle dealer.

almost tempted to buy it myself but the insurance in ontario is brutal, it would collect dust.
up in the header on this page, in the middle, is a dreer 880 norton monoshock. the blue one.

if you want a truly unique norton, that exact bike has gone up for sale three or four days ago. i believe only 80-something were made? and that one has verifiable factory history.

i think it would be a bit more than ten grand, but i haven't asked.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
up in the header on this page, in the middle, is a dreer 880 norton monoshock. the blue one.

if you want a truly unique norton, that exact bike has gone up for sale three or four days ago. i believe only 80-something were made? and that one has verifiable factory history.

i think it would be a bit more than ten grand, but i haven't asked.
I'm pretty sure it was built and owned by a member on this site :unsure:

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
85 Posts
yes it was. i believe he got the original demo chassis from kenny dreer and put a commando motor in it to make it more than just an autoshow queen

i think it was th eonly monoshock, but i'm hazy on that stuff. i do not know how much of the rolling chassis was originally dreer

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think I saw a thread somewhere where he was selling a bunch of his bikes fairly recently.
Hope he is doing well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think I saw a thread somewhere where he was selling a bunch of his bikes fairly recently.
Hope he is doing well.
He's still pretty active on a couple facebook pages and a brit bike club site that we're both active on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts