Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all,

i'm getting to ready to sandblast my cb125 frame this weekend, and i had a couple questions:

A: are the info plates legally required? i would like to remove them and blast the whole thing.

B: is sandblasting (with sand) too harsh for a tank? i have free access to a sandblaster, but would rather not screw up the tank...

any advice on sandblasting is appreciated!

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
A lot will depend on the "size" of the sandblaster... I've had some stuff done by a commercial blaster that was too big to fit into my cabinet....he used this mongo thing that left the surface of the metal like 80 grit sandpaper. No they won't change the sand for your project. Would be unsuitable for a tank I think.

Along this subject...I've got a frame I need done too...Joe, did you have a frame dipped? I might go that route if there is someone around here that does it, don't need acid, just hot-tanked.
JohnnyB

PS. Don't think the info tags are really necessary...just the VIN Stamp in the frame.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
no, had my bike blasted. never had one dipped. my welder will not weld on a frame that hasnt been blasted and he claims the res from chem strippers fucks the welds up. but hes a bit of a prima donna. i thought the heat was to burn the paint off the frame anyway.

id imagine youd only need the vin number as far as the plate goes.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
just peel the tags off and save them just in case. so long as the number is stamped in the frame you will be fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice guys.

80 grit sandpaper! ouch!

yeah, i've seen this sand blaster and it's huge. he uses it to blast industrial searchlights, like the kind at clubs and dealerships and stuff...huge. i guess i'll try it out with some scrap pieces i don't care about first...

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a friend at work with a home made cabinet large enough for a frame..he uses glass beads, I bought him a bag-o-beads and he did a frame and swing arm for me, and primed it to boot, came out very nice..and does small parts for me all the time.

dch

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just had my frame blasted by the local head stone maker. Just look in the yello pages for "memorial" and call around. They did it for $50. A bit rough but after I smooth the welds it will hit the frame with 600 grit and smooth it out. Local blaster wanted $200 to do the same job. I have a blaster but my cabinet is not big enough for a frame.

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I keep some worn out 180 grit DA sheets around to go over blasted parts. It won't take much on the frame, just shine it up a little.

You can blast the tank if you're careful. Tie it down somehow. Keep the nozzle far enough away from it that it's just close enough to take the paint off. Shoot at long angles, almost parrallel with the work surface. Move quickly, so you don't build heat in any one area. If it's pitted very deep you're kinda screwed. You will warp it to get the bottom of the pits cleaned. I warped the tank on my 550 a bit with my handheld Speedyblaster, but the pits need filled anyhow. It will need gone over with 180-240 before you prime it. If there's no rust, blasting's a pretty aggressive way to prep a tank. Just scuff it and paint.

Edited by - Ratty-550 on Feb 01 2008 01:48:47 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Evil...you're kidding right?

Been dead for years.

JohnnyB

PS. In 2005 according to my dead person hall of fame.

Edited by - jbranson on Feb 01 2008 09:29:51 AM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, i dont get why parks put that there. dude shot himself. them didnt he get cremated then shot out of some kind of cannon??

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the tank has about 300 coats of some nasty rattle-can paint on it, and it looks/feels like its not even cured yet (the guy might have tried to paint it to "look nice" before he sold it to me, i wish he hadn't). anyway, good tips for the spraying! i would just use that paint removal stuff, but its bad for trees and birds and squirrels (and probably me).

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If the paint's that soft you may find out it sucks to blast. If it's not coming off don't lay on it with the blaster you'll screw up the tank. Take a sharp razor blade and try to skin off the tank. Even if you do a smallish section so you have an exposed paint edge to blast at.

Hunter shot himself in the noggin, was cremated, his ashes were combined with fireworks that were set off at his funeral. His wife wrote a book about him I'm wanting to read(The Gonzo Way?). Last time I was at Barnes & Noble couldn't believe they didn't have it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
hunter s shot himself when he decided that he didnt want to go out as a has-been nobody. his remains were shot out of a cannon, HIS cannon i believe though i may be wrong about that. he was the greatest writer to ever live IMO

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
that honor i think would goto j.d. salinger, f. scott fitzgerald, or william faulkner.

thompson was a very good and entertaining journalist, but wasn't a master of letters.

at least that is my very humble opinion.

to each his own.

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

1 - 16 of 16 Posts