·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So in digging around about these (out of sheer curiosity) I may have figured out what they are.

I believe they may be the older style Keihin CR carbs, the type without an idle stop

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
So while I was bidding on the CR carbs, I was following these:

KEHIN CARBURETOR Z1 Z1000 KZ 1000 Z1900 SANDCAST CARBURETORS WOW RACING *682

In the last minute of bidding they jumped from $100 to $1000. I couldn't see anything obvious that made them special and they looked pretty tired in the pictures. What justifies the $1000 bid? Why are these apparently so special?
I had a real set of these but they were 970kit CR750 carbs, when I sold them I got nearly $3800 for them from a racer in Australia.

It isn't that they don't have an idle stop...they don't have an idle circuit of any kind. This is a real deal pukka race part, that's what makes them so special. They are called sandcast because the early ones had a rough finish on the body and I believe were lost mold cast. If you went back in time to 1973 and looked at the grid of inline 4 cylinder racing machines, these are the only carbs you would see regardless if it was a honda or kawasaki. I think there were 6 different versions before they got to the modern CR street carbs, Sandcasts would be the first version.

For some reason they are not appreciated here in the states. I couldn't get $1500 for mine domestically, but to a guy building racing an accurate CR750 overseas, they are worth 3 times that.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I had been watching the item for a few days when it was around $100. when it suddenly skyrocketed in price I figured it was something special.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts