Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is christian and i'm 24. I'm into cars and jetski's and now... motorcycles.
Just picked up this little gem for 10 bucks (try to avoid making fun of me trying to be cool on it.... haha). 75 Honda CB550. I am curious as to where i might find cafe style bars, seat, and tank for it.

I did a google search that came up relatively dry. Looks like alot of CB750 stuff... is it interchangeable?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if you dump your seat tank and sidecovers, let me know.

youll have to probably do some work to get a different tank and seat on it. like make or move brackets etc. but we do it all of the time.

sweet little bike.

jc

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Justin Timberlake called...he wants his homosexuality back.

Just kidding. Just you you are aware this is a pretty tight knit group where most of us know at least one other board member in real life. That means that there is a lot of good natured ribbing that occurs here and nobody is immune. I'm warning you now so you don't get all upset and we have to call the waaaaambulance.

Now to actually answer your question:

Bars: there are several different choices. Bacisally you are looking for a 7/8" diameter bar, 1" harley bars won't cut it. The basic staples are:

Superbike - less than 1" rise and pull back, very low classic bars and very comfortable for long distance riding.

Drag - no rise and very slight pull back, used by drag racers and is about as no frills as you can get.

Clubman - created for a specific class of club racing that required stock bar risers these are the quintessential cafe bars. There are different versions like the tommiselli and dunstall, etc..

clip ons - originally what the racers used and are now a staple on modern sport bikes. does not use your risers but clamps on to the fork itself so they must be size matched to your forks.

all are commonly available through ebay, dennis kirk, and various other bike parts warehouses. Expect to pay about $20 for the first three and $40 plus for clipons. There is a member here with very good prices on clipons but I forget who it is.

Bodywork: There are two schools of thought on this - fiberglass and aluminum. aluminum is high end, expect to pay over a grand to outfit your bike - but it is worth it. Fiberglass is more common and cheaper.

Evan wilcox is high end custom aluminum fab. Airtech is fiberglass supplier for a lot of cool stuff. Look around the net you'll find what you need.

check out:

http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/

and
benji has some cool 550 stuff but it is pricey:

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/forsale.html

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Careful you don't shoot your nuts off kicking that thing over.

Joking aside, I love that bike minus the bars. Geeto pretty much has you covered on where to get stuff.

JD

·
Registered
345 Posts
That bike is real cool. I remember when mine once looked just like that, minus the stud on the bike. :)

Everything said already should get you going and cafe'd in no time.

PS: You look alot like a forum member when he had short hair. Timothy is his name, cute stuff. Can I ask where did you get that belt I'm shopping for tannermatic's birthday and I think he'll look dope with that. Just joking no pun intended, welcome to the forum.

Alex

"Dude just connect the dots on the track and you'll be ok"

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
missed that question about interchangability with cb750. The answer is yes and no. With any custom stuff once you change one thing you have to change others. While the front tank mounts should fit the rear mount may give you trouble, plus you will have to change the seat. if you are going to do it on the cheap some tank suggestions you could try out are cb750F SOHC (1975-1978) breadbox tank, a cx500 tank (with knee cutouts), cb350F tank (knee cutouts but short tank).

I have been playing around with 73-76 kawasaki h1 tanks but they require some metal work (move the petcock as it is center mounted). If you have any metal working skills you can usually make a seat out of a junk tank (or even a custom oil tank). search the archives for posts by lilbull, he talks about that.

I think your studly pictures are making the crew moist...don't drop the soap around this crowd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts