Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, can you guys tell me what battery I should get for Old Slag-heap, my TX500?

The first question is about capacity. How do I know what battery capacity I need? I want to make sure the battery has enough capacity to handle the alternator output, and to run the headlight, brakelight and turn signals. I will be using the kickstarter only (I removed the starter motor, starter drive gear and the drive chain for the electric starter, so there's no going back now!). The alternator puts out 14.5 volts, 13 amps.

Second question is about size. I foolishly made a custom battery box before I bought a battery. So now, I need to find a battery that fits the box. The custom battery box can hold a battery up to 3.5" high, 2.75" deep and 4.5" wide. Anybody know of a website that shows the height, width and depth of the batteries (not just the model numbers)?

Third question is about the different types of batteries. I started looking at batteries online, and I realized I know fuck-all about the different kinds. There's gel, lead acid, AGM (absorbed glass mat), sealed, dry cell, etc. Which type is best for Old Slag, a stripped-down cafe racer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Let me pad out my answer a little. Electrical work is measured in Watts (Volts X Amps) .
Your alternator is making 188 watts (14.5v. X 13a.) sufficient electrical pressure to replenish the battery and run the lights, etc. Regarding your question about the capacity of the system add all the possible loads. For example an 1157 tail light bulb runs at 12+ volts and will draw 2 amps. That bulb is doing 25 watts of work. Because you removed the starter, you removed the single largest need for electrical work, and so the likely discharge rate will be decreased in the system, in theory you could go with a lower capacity battery. The most important thing the battery has to do is provide a good hot spark before that alternator is cranking, any new battery should do that. The modern batteries are cleaner (no vents) and slightly more efficient from a size point of view, they also tend to be more money.
I wonder what the hot set up is for guys running total loss race bikes?
man its late, I hope the above is not total bull. I'm out, bcr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts