Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far i have tried to get this screw on my alternator cover out using and easy-out, a spiral extractor (which snapped off inside where i had drilled), and an impact driver. It is soaked in a lubricant to try and break down whatever is seizing it. Any other thought as to what I can do to break it free, other then to drill it out and retap the hole with a larger screw?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Keep drilling until the head falls right off that screw, and once the cover is removed, you'll be able to unscrew what's left of it by hand.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Keep drilling until the head falls right off that screw, and once the cover is removed, you'll be able to unscrew what's left of it by hand.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
i did the same to a screw on my oil filter cover, and i used a reverse drill bit to drill it out, and when it just barely cut through the head material it caught and backed it out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It came out as i was drilling it out with a easy-out. I was just trying to drill the head off with the biggest bit I had and just about when it had drilled off the head, it backed itself out. Any idea, other then the hardware store, where I can pick up SS hex bolts to replace them with?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Judy, you other tools missed the first part of that sentence.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Judey will now resume his former drinking position.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
'Cuz spending 3x$$ is always better than spending half an hour at a hardware store.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Re-read the OP's question:

"Other than the hardware store</u>, where can I find..."

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
...perhaps he doesn't have a good hardware store close by, otherwise....why not?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts