Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've lurked on here for awhile but have never posted b/c if never really had anything of interest to add.. we'll now i have a few questions and hopefully y'all can help me. I got this sears (gilera) 106ss that I've had for awhile that i just use to putt around to the beach and back.

It runs great with no issues for the most part but for some reason 1/3 of the time i use it once i hit 40mph or so it will start puttering out and dying, other days it runs great up to 50mph with no hoopla. My first thought was fuel starvation so i cleaned the gas cap and made sure it was venting, then i tore part the carb and cleaned it, i also raised the needle just in case it was lean on the top end. After doing this it ran great for a few days but then same problem started up again. Any suggestions? Doesn't seem rpm related because if i stay in higher rpms in 3rd gear nothing happens but in 4th gear at near top speed it'll die out. As it dies i down shift and slow down and then it acts like nothings wrong and keeps chugging along. Could it be electrical? i changed the spark plug and have good spark. Just wanted some suggestions or input before i start tearing it up and throwing parts at it.

... front fender off for painting, its back on now
Been using it to go surfing lately and it's the perfect size to ride the 4 miles to the beach from my house. Just really want to get it running like a top at all times. Mounted a rack for my surfboard recently and it works great
thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't clean the petcock yet, although i did test flow about a gallon of gas though it into a bucket to check flow, seemed to flow plenty, more than i think a 100cc motor would use at any time... These bikes have dual petcocks and it seems like the PO capped one off and is just using the left side petcock, wonder if i hook up the dual cocks if it'll get more flow, is there anything electrical that could cause this? The wiring is so simple on this bike that i checked most everything and all appears fine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didn't clean the petcock yet, although i did test flow about a gallon of gas though it into a bucket to check flow, seemed to flow plenty, more than i think a 100cc motor would use at any time... These bikes have dual petcocks and it seems like the PO capped one off and is just using the left side petcock, wonder if i hook up the dual cocks if it'll get more flow, is there anything electrical that could cause this? The wiring is so simple on this bike that i checked most everything and all appears fine

·
Registered
838 Posts
I once fought a fuel flow issue on the wife's CL175. I'd checked fuel flow into a bucket 4 times and it always seemed fine. I was sure there was something wrong with the carbs and had them apart beside the road a number of times during a weekend trip. On the way home it went lean on the freeway and burned a piston. After trailering it home I found a dead bug loosely floating inside the pick up tube inside the tank. Sometimes his body was straight and allowed fuel to flow, other times he'd cock to one side in the tube and the bike would lean out.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I once fought a fuel flow issue on the wife's CL175. I'd checked fuel flow into a bucket 4 times and it always seemed fine. I was sure there was something wrong with the carbs and had them apart beside the road a number of times during a weekend trip. On the way home it went lean on the freeway and burned a piston. After trailering it home I found a dead bug loosely floating inside the pick up tube inside the tank. Sometimes his body was straight and allowed fuel to flow, other times he'd cock to one side in the tube and the bike would lean out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, sucks when a dead bug can cause that big of a problem, ill look into asap, thanks a lot Bret

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha, sucks when a dead bug can cause that big of a problem, ill look into asap, thanks a lot Bret

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
If it were a fuel flow issue why would it occur at the lower rpm of high gear yet go away at the upper rpm of a lower gear? Doesn't make sense to me.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
If it were a fuel flow issue why would it occur at the lower rpm of high gear yet go away at the upper rpm of a lower gear? Doesn't make sense to me.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
01marc, guess i didnt describe it too well, the bike runs great in the first 3 gears at all rpms, but in 4th gear(top gear) it will start to sputter out around 4500-5500 rpm which is around 40mph. This only happens on occasion with no big variance in temp. (i live in florida) Runs like a champ the majority of the time though.
Also guess i should add that the surfboard rack is is easily removed and required no drilling into the frame, it just clamps on to the frame rails. Everything on this bike is still original, and could be returned to completely stock within about 20 mins of wrenching. Wish there were some mountain roads around me because this thing handles amazing, if only the motor was about 2-3 times bigger i would use this as my main bike for commuting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
01marc, guess i didnt describe it too well, the bike runs great in the first 3 gears at all rpms, but in 4th gear(top gear) it will start to sputter out around 4500-5500 rpm which is around 40mph. This only happens on occasion with no big variance in temp. (i live in florida) Runs like a champ the majority of the time though.
Also guess i should add that the surfboard rack is is easily removed and required no drilling into the frame, it just clamps on to the frame rails. Everything on this bike is still original, and could be returned to completely stock within about 20 mins of wrenching. Wish there were some mountain roads around me because this thing handles amazing, if only the motor was about 2-3 times bigger i would use this as my main bike for commuting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
this fuel problem it may not be. on the older bikes, at the hard pull over time, a condenser old can stop working correctly (the stamina of a man of young years it has no more). a simple test there is. attach a new condenser to the small wire that it goes to the coil for spark. attach this extra condenser to the bike for ground and try a ride with the long pull in last gear, a few minutes you may need. if the problem of miss or skip does not happen, then the problem is the condenser in the system of ignition. this extra condenser can stay if don't want to take out the old one.
-p1j

1 - 20 of 58 Posts