Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help a green horn out. I have an 82 gs750tz with a strong motor, clean carbs, and a good transmission. I've done a few restorations on similar bikes but those have all been OEM rebuilds. This time I want to do something a little more fun.

The plan so far: lower the front end, clubman the steering, leave the airbox alone but put in a stock k&n, remove the back fender, relocate the plate bracket and light. Generally just dress it up some and improve the already really good handling, and rebuild the shitty brakes, and fix the leaky valve cover.

All of that except the seat I've had expirence with.

What I want to do is use the original seat pan (save the "build it from scratch" bullshit, I know all the reason why that's a better idea and true custom thing and I don't care. I want to try it this way first.)

Has anyone ever tried using EVA foam to shape and build a seat?
Eva is the stuff that those anti-fatigue floor mats are made out of and people who do cosplay stuff use it to make fake armor. I actually tried it last Halloween and made a pretty bitchin rocketeer helmet. It's stiff but if you heat it up you can bend it and also shave and shape it like normal styrofoam. The plan is to build up a block on the original seat pan and make a bum stop where the passenger rise is on the pano it of it. That way I could still potentially carry a passenger and they would have modicum of comfort. (Albeit terrifying comfort ft every time I go on her a bump and their ass slides closer to the bare wheel.) Then do a quilted layer of something softer and thinner sewn into the seat cover. Probably going to use outdoor pleather from a craft store unless I can get my hands on something better or if you have any better ideas.

What do you think so far? If you need and if I figure it out I'll share my sketches for the seat design to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.Attachment 14431

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
This is your bike from the other thread, yes?

My advice? Keep it pretty much stock. Lower bars (think superbike bend - not clubmans) then ride it. It looks in pretty good shape - why not keep it that way?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's it. I plan on keeping most of it stock but I'm mostly looking for a project to try stuff out on. And the seat is actually ripped wide open on the other side and the foam is moldy.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Not sure if EVA foam is the best material - all the seats I've seen use high density polyethelene foam for the most part, then a layer of lower density 1/4" foam then the cover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I'll end up doing the seat that way as soon as I get a working sewing machine. But here is an update on the build progress if anyone was interested.

Replaced the valve cover gasket, cleaned the block, re packs the rear bearings and replaced the brakes. Added the clubman bars and some excruciating uncomfortable aluminum grips. Relocated the plate and brake light, replaced what I think is safe to assume was the factory installed chain (the thing rattled louder than a pissed off snake in the grass) took out the shitty aftermarket turn signals the previous owner added and put on some even shittier LED turn signals that I think fried the relay. I've been blowing out fuses constantly, and plan on hunting down the culprit tomorrow. I originally wanted to keep the rear fender off but I kind of like the clean look of it now without the brake light. I'll either cut it shorter just above those holes or find a way to fill them in. I also added the bar end mirrors but snapped a bolt in the clutch lever mount so I stuck the stock one back in and tightened it in all the way to keep the lever in place while I rode down the street to the hardware store for a new bolt and decided I didn't mind how the bike looked with 4 mirrors. Actually now that I've ridden it on my daily commute (80 miles one way on the freeways) I kind of like it better. The stock mirrors are straight back and the bar ends are convex and aimed at my blind spots.

This weekend I'm wrapping the pipes, fixing the electrical issues, and re adjusting the foot controls. Right now the shift peg is fine but my boot is riding on top of the rear brake pedal and I'm paranoid I'm ridding the brake.

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Riding the rear brake lever? Why? For your information most rear brake levers are intended to have the rider's foot to the side of the lever when riding, not on top of it all the time while riding. You put your toes on it when you need to actually brake. Then take it off.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riding the rear brake lever? Why? For your information most rear brake levers are intended to have the rider's foot to the side of the lever when riding, not on top of it all the time while riding. You put your toes on it when you need to actually brake. Then take it off.

Danger, is my business."
Clearly you have never had to ride through a busy city before...

Since adding the new bars my riding posture has changed forcing most of my body weight forward. As much as I can hold my ankle at an acute angle (I'm not the type of idiot to wear tennis shoes when I ride. When i Worked as an EMT I had to pick up more than a couple severed feet off the road) it just more comfortable to not fight my boot and let my ankle rest naturally. Best way to do that is to angle the brake pedal down slightly so I can hover over it and when the inevitable dumb shit pulls out I front of me without looking, I can react instead of getting the lip of my shoe caught under the pedal.

For your information I have seen plenty of "most riders" and most riders I've seen have fallen and never gotten back up. And belive me. that is much better than seeing the ones who do, but who do so without a face. (Fun fact: you only have to skid 2 blocks on pavement before you see the exposed nasal cavity of a guy.)

So hopefully that makes you think about your riding habits, and you might take an extra 5 minutes this weekend to adjust your brake pedal. Because I know mine has saved my ass more times than I care to mention.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Your rear brake is only there to assist the front. Use that as a rule and don't be so paranoid.

Please don't do anything else to it, beyond "normal" bars and fixing things that break. Part of your problem is you've changed the way you fit on the bike. If you're intent on screwing it up, you need to install rear sets.

It'll be cheaper and a confidence boost to just to put a set of superbike bends on, as already advised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know what the rear brake is for and like I said, that assist has saved my ass. And yeah already ordered and received in a set of super bike bars, but I think the clubman has grown on me, other than the above mentioned brake pedal position thing which really I'm only talking about a 1/4 of an inch adjustment. Nothing serious or drastic at all.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Clearly you have never had to ride through a busy city before...

Since adding the new bars my riding posture has changed forcing most of my body weight forward. As much as I can hold my ankle at an acute angle (I'm not the type of idiot to wear tennis shoes when I ride. When i Worked as an EMT I had to pick up more than a couple severed feet off the road) it just more comfortable to not fight my boot and let my ankle rest naturally. Best way to do that is to angle the brake pedal down slightly so I can hover over it and when the inevitable dumb shit pulls out I front of me without looking, I can react instead of getting the lip of my shoe caught under the pedal.

For your information I have seen plenty of "most riders" and most riders I've seen have fallen and never gotten back up. And belive me. that is much better than seeing the ones who do, but who do so without a face. (Fun fact: you only have to skid 2 blocks on pavement before you see the exposed nasal cavity of a guy.)

So hopefully that makes you think about your riding habits, and you might take an extra 5 minutes this weekend to adjust your brake pedal. Because I know mine has saved my ass more times than I care to mention.
I'm a rider trainer, so I think I know how to use a rear brake correctly, and survive city traffic.

If you need to have your foot always primed ready to use in the city, I think you need to change your technique. Create more space, and ride to suit the traffic conditions a bit more. Most of the braking on a road bike is the front brake anyway.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So now that we've talked about brakes and everything else you guys have curiously picked apart for little discernible reason. Let's get back on topic...

Does anyone have any seat fabrication or modifications they want to share? Cool shit you've seen or heard about?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Again thanks for the advice but I am totally fine with the riding position.
Now I tend to think you don't really know what you are talking about. Clubman handlebars combined with mid mount footpegs rarely work very well.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So now that we've talked about brakes and everything else you guys have curiously picked apart for little discernible reason. Let's get back on topic...

Does anyone have any seat fabrication or modifications they want to share? Cool shit you've seen or heard about?
Really? Here's another 5.00 tip. Comfort equals control. A more upright seating position gives you better sight lines and with better weight distribution decreases your reaction time.

Oh

Don't look at what you don't want to hit.

But since you are obviously an expert, you knew that, right?

You asked for advice and opinions. These guys know their shit (except maybe Whitty, I still think he's a bot), don't get all bent out of shape and defensive. Just say thank you and assimilate yourself into this group.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I tend to think you don't really know what you are talking about. Clubman handlebars combined with mid mount footpegs rarely work very well.

Danger, is my business."
I'm 5'7" I'm not a very tall guy, so trust me when I say this position works for me. I know because I've been doing 80 mile one way stretches like this for the last week now but who knows I might get tired of it and change it next week. That is for me to decide, not you.

And since you keep bringing this up I'm gonna go ahead and call shinnanigans on you being a riding instructor. I've been friends with and have been riding with several instructors and veteran bikers for years I don't think any of them have ever told me to not be ready to stop for anything. In fact my first riding class when I was 12 and on a dirt bike they specifically went over "this is where you keep your fucking foot" "always be ready to stop"

So far in my entire riding life you and a kid mechanic have been the only ones to tell me I'm wrong for keeping my toes over the brake. And that mechanic was only worried that I'd warp something if I were riding the brake.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Park your ego at the door. This site is full of opinionated dudes, but the regulars know their stuff, as I do.

I'm a road and track motorcycle instructor, amongst many other and varied talents related to motorcycles. Been there and done about everything, too, about one hundred times. True.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really? Here's another 5.00 tip. Comfort equals control. A more upright seating position gives you better sight lines and with better weight distribution decreases your reaction time.

Oh

Don't look at what you don't want to hit.

But since you are obviously an expert, you knew that, right?

You asked for advice and opinions. These guys know their shit (except maybe Whitty, I still think he's a bot), don't get all bent out of shape and defensive. Just say thank you and assimilate yourself into this group.

You are right. I apologize.
But now can we please move beyond the brakes and riding position and bars get back to what I started this thread about.

Does anyone have any advice or stories about seat fabrication?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts