Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i ran a search and came up empty. Whats the different ways that you guys are installing your fibreglass seat/tail to the frame?

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey bud i am no bike pro but i see a couple ways to do it and the way i am doing it.

you could weld a cross brace and connect a shaped piece of wood to it and drill straight into the wood with it. and then cover it. but the problem lies in getting the seat off without ruining your covering.

I am in the process of cutting tubing and following the lines of the seat with it. to give it some height as my seat is too skinny for my frame rails. this will then be welded to the frame to give it some height.making some flat stock cross bracing and then use dzues clips on the 2 rear corners and one in the center.

so visualize if you will the 1" tubing running along the frame rails on the inside. then dzues tabs coming off parallel to the cross tubes. thus supporting and locking my seat pan on. covering it with foam but cutting out little areas to mount the dzues bolts. i hope it will come out like i want it to. I will then be mounting my electric stuff under it. and my battery in the hump of my seat.

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
what kind of bike? i usually use the stock hinges on one side, then i use rubber seat stops on the other side. that why the seat will flip up for storage or to access the battery or whatever. for the Hinges, i use carriage bolts thru the top of the seating area and a nut on the bottom into the bracket (that you will most likely have to fabricate) for the hinge.

for the rubber stops, i use the cb750k ones and screw them to the seat pan thru the top so the hit the frame rails when the seat is folded down.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
or just drill holes and bolt it to the frame where ever it's easy....a cross piece on the "subframe", the seat loop on the back of the subframe, etc.

-tt

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok I have a really easy solution to the whole problem of covering the seat after it is bolted on. all you do is cover you new seat pan with packing tape and a realease agent and the make a fiberglass duplicate of of the seat area. upholster the new shell you made and then bolt you seat down to the frame. if you put industrial velcro between your upholstered piece and the tail that is bolted down, it will never come off. you can get it off if you need to by pulling the velcro apart. I just drilled four holes thru the top of my seat pan and used existing holes in my frame. when you get it all done it doesn't even look like you have two pieces. it just looks like one nice seat pan. much easier than weklding a bunch of bars together and all your hardware is hidden. if you like this idea let me know and I can send you pictures of the step by step process. it's super easy my 2 year old can do it and it'll look fabulous!!!

carpe diem.... seize the carp

Edited by - suzukisam on Nov 29 2007 11:07:57 PM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:
ok I have a really easy solution to the whole problem of covering the seat after it is bolted on. all you do is cover you new seat pan with packing tape and a realease agent and the make a fiberglass duplicate of of the seat area. upholster the new shell you made and then bolt you seat down to the frame. if you put industrial velcro between your upholstered piece and the tail that is bolted down, it will never come off. you can get it off if you need to by pulling the velcro apart. I just drilled four holes thru the top of my seat pan and used existing holes in my frame. when you get it all done it doesn't even look like you have two pieces. it just looks like one nice seat pan. much easier than weklding a bunch of bars together and all your hardware is hidden. if you like this idea let me know and I can send you pictures of the step by step process. it's super easy my 2 year old can do it and it'll look fabulous!!!

Edited by - suzukisam on Nov 29 2007 11:07:57 PM

Yeah pics would be awesome mate!

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok I will get some together tonight and tomorrow and I'll get some up

·
Registered
201 Posts
hey sorry my internet is down so I can't post any pics or anything at home so I'll get some on here as soon as possible. prolly a couple days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts