Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 XS750
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On to the seat job, my wife is gonna try and do the stitching after I form the seat foam. Gonna do more of a thinner stock style seat. It’s on the original metal seat pan so it’ll need rivets right? When I do the rivets do I just go from the outside in through the vinyl on both sides keeping the rivet head exposed? Or can I “hide“ the rivet Somehow behind the vinyl?

Letting the glue dry for now (y)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You could likely drill the rim of the pan and use a pinch strap on the underside to hold the vinyl. Use appropriate binding post and they won't be noticeable under the seat cover. How was it attached from the factory? Post a couple pictures of the pan.
These are just an example.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Composite material Tints and shades
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

the factory was riveted somehow under the foam while staying behind the vinyl. It’s like the backside of the rivet was exposed Under the seat But hidden on the outside. I like the pinch strap idea...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The holes are there. I wouldn't bother with the strap, if they are evenly spaced around the perimeter, just use binding posts. Take the pan to a fastener shop and you can get the right dia/length.
Don't cut the holes in the vinyl use a paper hole punch. A clean circle won't tend to tear.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You da man (y) :cool:
It might take a while to get the vinyl stiched up but I’ll report back with the finished product. Those binding posts are just what I had in mind, just didn’t know they existed haha

·
Registered
74 TX650
37 Posts
Just glue it, that's what most upholsterers do. I sewed this seat cover up on a Singer treadle then glued it to the pan. When I got rid of the bike nine years later it was still good.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts