Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any info or experience with the old Seeley racing chassis? Specifically the frames? I've got a chance at one and know nothing about them other than they were a hot ticket for a while way-back-when....

If it helps, it's been described as 'built for 500cc singles, engine slung under..."

.......yeah, so..........

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Seeley made some fantastic frames. Do a google search for 'seeley mk2' or 'seeley mk3' you'll get a ton of images and info. Here's a start, info on the frame made for the Honda Fours: http://www.seeley-honda.de/restoration3.htm

Do you know what engine was in there originally? Between the two types these frames could be made to fit nearly any powerplant. Would be good to know how it was originally set up. There were a few special racers they made, you may have something even more collectable than just a seeley.

All that said, if you want to pass on it or sell it give me first refusal eh?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Feb 01 2008 4:28:41 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
be careful about the condition of the frame itself. They were brazed at the joints and the nickel coating is part of the hardness of the joints. Be really wary of any frame that has been welded in one spot as sometimes welding can weaken the brazing.

if it is for a cb750 motor, I'll buy it off you no questions asked.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said above, the old cat that's got it and a small pile of other interesting bits told me it was for a 500cc single. slung under the frame.

I haven't seen it yet, will this weekend...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that makes me feel all kinds of tingly........

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If its for an underslung motor its probably for a G50 Matchless with an AMC or Manx gearbox. If you have any doubts let me know. I'll buy it sight unseen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i've been reading that people are stuffing moto morini v-twins into seeley frames meant for the matchless motors. kind kinky.

scott from chicago
(really slow guy in an orange shirt)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Nice Seeley. But $34,000+ for a replica???? Granted a fast and reliable(?) replica. But that is wy too much money.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, went to see the rig Saturday and it's completely stripped to bare, there's no bits with it....just the frame, swing arm, pivot and the occasional nut and bolt. For reference it looks pretty much like the one in Bret's post. It's been in this cats shed for 25+ years as is. It doesn't look to have been welded on other than initial fab (thanks for the heads up Geets), paints badly chipped etc etc. It does however look pretty damned straight. There's a small dent (more of a ding) on the left side tube about 3" before the weld at the back top. It's not enough to be a problem and I think I can smooth it out ok.
It was brought over when he moved from Australia in the early seventies. Sold the engine and wheels to some monkey for...gulp...a chopper when he needed cash. everything else was parted in a similar fashion thus it's current bones bare state.
He seemed amenable to trading some machine work for it so I think I'm gonna go for it.

So I'm quickly thrashing around with what I'd do with it. I have several engines that could be slung in there, all of which kinda give me a chuckle to think about:
>XR650 single
Lots of torque and power as is with a ton of potential left for more. Relatively light, already set up for a charging system.
>WR500 2 stroke
Just plain mean, would be more work but could be done.
>CB500t/450 hybrid
Pretty hopped up, lots-o-power, kinda heavy but looks nice and runs good. I built it the way I wanted to so kinda want to use it in something cool.
>XS850 triple
I've been thinking about this one for a while. Just roughed out the parts for a chain drive conversion based on pics of some other dudes work, could be build up to 1000+/-ccs.
>06 Thruxton 900
At least it's British.....and I know the local dealer well...old family friend.

I'm sure I'd catch a buttload of flack from some people but I'm not a restoration guy. I don't see myself modifying the frame or swinger but I figure I can hang whatever I want off it. inverted forks, ZXR shocks, modern discs on allow spokes......I just dunno yet.

I would most surely set it up for the street just to have something really unique to storm around the hill on. Getting bores with the late model sport bikes.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I would go with the XS850 triple. I have been toying with the same notion myself. I have been thinking about putting one in a FZ600 chassis. The idea of a triple 4 stroke is cool. The chain conversion looks pretty straight forward as far as a bolt on kind of thing with just some machine work for bearings and such.

Cool idea, but I would look at good conventional forks and twin shocks on the back just for looks. I think the inverted stuff would look too modern for the frame. The XS750 gas tank might look good too.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the problem with old racing or special frames is that you can't really modify them without compromising their structural integrity. You could do bolt on motor plates and other neat little tricks but you have your work cut out for you if you are planiing on putting something else in there other than what was intended.

Another thing is that seely and rickman frames are engine specific. Although they used the same basic jig for a lot fo their frames there are a lot of differences between the frames that makes motor swaps a little difficult.

Finally, the swignarm is a must have. I don't know about the seeley chassis but rickmans used special front ends and are rare. Some of these frames have parts that are only used on their bikes (rickman frames must use rickman bodywork, swingarm, front end, clamps, etc)

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
colin was at the obsolete party a few years back that i went to. definitely grab that thing up. and dont screw with its original construction. they are rare and racers love them.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good points all, I'm still up in the air.

I definitely wouldn't modify the original pieces, like I said I'm no restoration guy but I do have respect for the value of some of this old stuff. I'd mill up motor plates as needed for whatever rig I sling in it.

I am pretty committed to modern braking at this point so that's probably not up for debate, and I can and may weld up a period looking but braced swing arm for it (I love eccentric for adjusting the chain). I agree that the late style USD forks aren't "period" but I'm not trying to build a time machine. Everything I've been able to read in the last couple days regarding the mkIII alludes to how rigid the platform is and I just think it'd be well served with something stiffer than what was to be had back then.

Dunno.....don't have it in my possession yet, he may come to his senses before I get my paws on it..

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hope you get it. Lucky bugger!! Reading the posts I would question the using of an 850 triple. Mainly from a weight point. Seeleys were made for short circuit racing where weight was all important. (I have a phot somewhere showing a magnesium rod for a Manx Norton with a big hole bored in it to save weight!!) Strength was only as necessary so plonking a big triple may compromise the frame integrity. I would lean towards a single. I'm not saying you should build a time machine but bear in mind the original purpose of the frame.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts