Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was totally going to start a killer cafe racer and figured why start with a whole bike? Starting with just a frame is such a better idea?
Okay, just messing around.

But really, I know have a seeley frame.
Honestly this is kinda far down on the list so mostly just want to spit ball some ideas right now.

Not sure how to approach this. The goal would just be to have a cool street bike. No racing and not really concerned about a perfect restoration. Part of me says I should find a cb750 parts bike and just swap over all the needed stock bits. The other part of me starts talking about CX650 turbo front ends and VF wheels and all manor of stuff.

Like I said, the chopper motor getting finished and then a major service on my 1100f are a priority.
Also getting a job in the Albany area is also an important step in adulting before pipe dreams of seeley bikes.

I tried to register it on the seeley registry, but it seems like no one is still home over there.
Would love to find some more information and history about them. Maybe even track down the history of my frame.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If it was mine, I'd build it with those CX500/650 turbo wheels, or even better the bolt together star of david wheels that Honda used on the oval piston GP bikes, and the VF1000R. The CX front end is probably about the same as the CB900F front end, I know all those wheels, and comstars and spoked ones all bolt up.

Then you need to put on some pods, and wrap the header in heat tape.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
It's a bit of a no-brainer.

Do it like the kit-bike guy would have done it in the seventies. Keep it true to original. Then it will be worth something. Like serious cash. It could be worth 20K to the right buyer in England.

Get the frame polished and re-nickeled. Hagon shocks are available, they are based on the kit-bike Girling design anyway. Not hard to copy the original 2 : 1 x 2 exhaust. A replica seat should be available from a U.K. Seeley tamperer.

Most of the Honda running gear is easy enough to get, and cheap enough.

Forget trying to make it better, make it like it was .

IMO, Seeleys look far better than the seventies Eglis and Rickmans.

Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
so you have kinda heard my opinion through txt, but I thought I would just elaborate here.

I think too many of the original seeley street parts are missing for this to be an "accurate" restoration. Plus those seeley street bike seats are just god awful to look at. I rather like the seats the Australians use when racing these bikes, its a lot more purposeful and a lot less "look at what I made after banging three rails of blow and a couple of 'schoom caps":

View attachment 8822
View attachment 8823

of course you could always go see Kenny and get one of his seeley norton seats which are awesome. Living near norton seeley central has it's perks:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

I think this is a guilari seat (and I also think I have one) and looks way better than stock:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

I think you should find a running 1977-78 F parts donor bike. This way you can get it running and up on wheels quickly and while you are sorting out things make upgrades as you go. Boomerang comstars (the "Star of david" comstars that were on the VF1000R are 16" front and the racing 18" ones are real money and so forget them), dual piston calipers, fork brace, etc... you can even go with the CBR wheel swap later on if you want to make it really look like a restomod.

If you don't have any alloy bodied koni's left maybe track down a set of marzocchi stradas, or some new ikons. Even Hagons wouldn't be out of place there, or an old set of progressive magnums. Girling would be the real race kit, as would ohlins web heads but you'll pay for those.

try to remember the era of the bike and what was popular in racing when building it. It's a late 70's bike so mags would be the hot ticket the big money guys were using. You could spend for eye-talian forks, and brembo f08 or grimeca calipers but really there are better "values" out there for things just in the era correct honda parts bin like the aforementioned boomerang comstars, the dual piston brakes with the crosses cast in them, etc... eventually I could see you getting more radical with the engine as time went on, but the brilliance is in the chassis so sort that first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
IMO, Seeleys look far better than the seventies Eglis and Rickmans.
Not a chance. There is no sighted person who would ever think this:

is better looking than this:

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

but you may have a point with this:
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

just strictly talking cb750 based specials here. Still all are better looking than a stock cb750. Out of the rickman vs seeley I will concede the seeley is the better chassis, the rickmans carry too much rake.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I don't like the looks of Rickman Zeds or CB's, their Enfield and Triumph roadies looked far better IMO. The naked Seeley is about the best looking sports-road CB750 frame job ever made IMO. I like the looks of the Seeley tank and seat, the fairing less so.

G_T , he has most of the vital kit parts already. He just needs an original copy tailpiece, Seeley-copy clubman bars, and to make a copy of the 2 : 1 x 4 exhaust. Hagons are near identical to Girlings, they are really Girlings by another name. I think Hagon bought all of Girling's old tooling, back in the day. Hagons wouldn't be "out of place" because the Seeley was sold with Girlings.

An "upgraded" Seeley, is worth about 1/2 of one that looks like it was built in the seventies.

If you want to ride fast, go get a DOHC Honda, and build a Freddie replica.

I'm not really a CB750 fan, but if I wanted it, I'd give you 5K for the tank and seat. Cash.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kinda hard to have anything "correct" on these bikes. They all where custom built and most where raced, modified and all that shit.

I want a K parts bike, not a F.

Would want to keep it "period" for sure.

This is the seat it came with. I think a J3 could land on it...

from what I can tell the only thing seeley that isn't there are the seat and the axle adjusters internal bits.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I dont see a "correct" one there......
Many are using a similar formula though. I would like to use that formula too.

For the shocks I would probably run hagons.
Gl front end, and a K parts bike would get this thing back on the road. After that maybe down the line "upgrade" things. But probably not as this will only be used as a street bike.
Dont think that plan would effect the value of the bike much.....

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The bike was sold mainly as a kit, to fit most of a stock bikes parts to. It's not rocket science to achieve or get the OEM or Seeley parts you need.

It can even have an OEM airbox, like a real cafe racer . :)

Danger, is my business.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The white with red flash ones are the "correct" ones. That's how Seeley sold the kit. I've seen one or two white/red flash "naked" ones over the years, but I can't remember where or when.

For originality, you only really need a F1 rear wheel and brake. Everything else can be K parts: all the better.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have not decided to run a rear drum or disk.
Frame last had a drum on it, so that might be easier....but I still am not sure.

I could cannibalize my CB/CR project.
Lesters, triple disk with twin piston calipers, ect

Like I said, mostly spitballing right now.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
God that seely seat just looks like the tail of a dog that wants it's butt sniffed. And now we are talking about how pretty cafe seats are and this place is magically transformed to DTT.

Value discussions are a trap as these are kit bikes no matter how you slice it. Even the kit came with options like lesters and ones that would have been used as intended would have been upgraded out of the box in the 70's to begin with. In terms of market for a seeley, there are essentially two markets: 1) the collector market which to appeal to this bike would have to have a costly restoration and original parts would need to be sourced all so the 5 guys left in the country that originality matters to can have a bidding war over; and 2) the ever growing "upscale" cafe racer crowd: people to whom a ride-able bike with low production and tasteful mods are worth spending for. For one group only original seat padding will do while for the other quality parts and a good riding experience are equally valued. Plus I don't think Jag is looking to squeak every single penny out of this - but rather have one of the best conversation starters at any bike night he goes to and really enjoying riding the bike. While normally I would agree with you about "originality" and what not with production bikes - when it comes to these kit bikes you have a lot more wiggle room to get creative. Plus I don't think early 80's parts are out of character for something like this - they would easily be era correct for a late 70's kit that the owner had, rode, and upgraded into the 80's.

Hey Jag, didn't we talk about whether a DOHC mill would fit in there? Did you ever measure?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

this right here is the exact setup I was talking about. Boomerang comstars, dual piston calipers, 18"/18" front rear, triple disc, and I even like the V&H pipe. and you know what, the sear doesn't look that bad in polished and painted trim or yellow.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I like the mags over the spokes and comstars. if you already have lesters that seems perfect...or if you wanna save money maybe get some kz alloy 7 spokes w/ a kz750 front end if it's compatible. get dual disks and it's cheap. for what it's worth, i like the seeley seat.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Dohc motors do fit. There was a Dutch one on eBay ( I think ) , last week for about 19K. (I could find the link, if I had to) .

So long as you don't PC or hack the frame, or put knee dents in the tank: It's all good in my eyes.

Danger, is my business.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts