Cafe Racer Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
In my case they aren't class legal for the AHRMA class the bike they would be intended for. Besides I have been working on a set of kh500 forks in secret for this project with disc brakes.
I was thinking about Jag's application, but on a Rickman they would be totally legal until someone worked out that they weren't ;-) Caps over teh top caps are not hard but that fat axle might be a bit of a giveaway. Well maybe not. perhaps you could machine smaller hex on the ends to make it look like an old small diameter axle. OK, so that's a bit of a stretch but for Jag's bike a complete R6 front end might be a possibility. Obviously he'd have to measure things and work out the impact of a very different set of triples than stock SOHC.

I'm really just encouraging him to think about alternatives that would look right and perform even better.

For a rickman, you can probably get a set of 39-41mm forks that are class legal and insert R6 Cartridges. I have a pair of bent R6 legs here I can strip and measure if you need any dimensions.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I had a long conversation with someone who races a Rickman once about this. Even for the class he ran in 38mm was as big as they allowed, he was allowed to run the stock 41mm Rickman forks because they were the stock Rickman forks and no other reason. If I was racing the Rickman then r6 would be the way to go, but this is for an h1 so I couldn't cheat it in if I wanted to.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Generally comstar and wire wheel stuff does not mix.
Yes anything can be made to work with anything, but there is not real benefit.
I know the brake stuff is totally incompatible, but I'm pretty sure the axles are the same diameter, which is all I need to be able to make it work with the right discs. Not certain if I will need spacers on the disc, or the caliper. Should know next week.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Found a GL front end semi local. Doesn't solve many problems, but is progress.
I plan to be in the garage Thursday-Sunday thrashing on some of the bikes and trying to button stuff up.

The goals for the weekend.
-finish the chopper
-service the 1100f
-hopefully have parts to put on the seeley.

i know my 1973 C10 is going to have to go to make room and raise money. The 1100f might go too.
between moving to albany, looking for a new job and just generally having to many toys it's hard to get through everything.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Found a GL front end semi local. Doesn't solve many problems, but is progress.
I plan to be in the garage Thursday-Sunday thrashing on some of the bikes and trying to button stuff up.

The goals for the weekend.
-finish the chopper
-service the 1100f
-hopefully have parts to put on the seeley.

i know my 1973 C10 is going to have to go to make room and raise money. The 1100f might go too.
between moving to albany, looking for a new job and just generally having to many toys it's hard to get through everything.
Dipping my toe in carefully here.

Was the frame originally plated? Some were not and were usually the raced bikes, some were road kits and some were full and complete bikes. Those that were raced usually got a bore kit (Japorto, Eckhert to name just two all did this) for F1 as the cc limit was 1000cc as a 750 couldn't compete with the GS1000 and sleeved down z1000. I also know that a couple went endurance racing. In 77 a cb750f2 engined Seeley raced in the IOM F1TT race, alongside Kirby and Spondon framed Honda's; there was not much between then. In 79 a Seeley KZ was endurance raced in numerous events, the engine was very trick with just over 900cc using standard crank and rods making an over square motor it was quick and just over 100hp, carbs were non CV type Keihin CR's. Forks were standard KZ.

Personally I would CR750 it and build to pre79 spec so it appeals to the race guys, a CR with race eligible frame that actually handles has got to be worth considering. The Honda frame was bordering on pants anyway but can be made acceptable, just! You'll need 38mm forks though either Marzocchi M1 or M1R the later being better, used to change over the marzocchi damping to Ceraini which worked a treat or cartridge them. You could use a Guzzi Leman front end which is in period.

For interest wrap the stuff in the photo around your frame. There are two swing arms on ebay UK at the moment Seeley MK3 swing arms Matchless G50 Norton Commando | eBay price is stupid and they are too wide for G50 (done that one).

By the Rickman forks are 1 5/8" not 41mm.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I do not think the frame was originally plated, but need to dig into it a little bit more before knowing for sure.

there seem to be a few different options to "build" this frame into. Still not 100% sure what it will be yet.
one thing is for sure that this will be a street bike.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I do not think the frame was originally plated, but need to dig into it a little bit more before knowing for sure.

there seem to be a few different options to "build" this frame into. Still not 100% sure what it will be yet.
one thing is for sure that this will be a street bike.
Yep there are lots of those and so is the one in the photo. Number plate removed for a weekend at Spa Francorchamps.

Good luck try to keep it somewhere near period though!

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
By street bike I mean relatively stock. No crazy parts.

i also have a mild CB/CR project.
some upgrades, but again nothing to racy.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

·
Registered
781 Posts
Grest numbers!
holding together well?

Yep the engine hung together.

The engine is F2 bottom end with earlier top (easier to tune). The F2 bottom end is the strongest of the sohc cb750's. The crank was lightened, machined over and polished. Carrilos fitted. Sump extension (RSC kit). Megacycle cam, Tsubaki cam chain, big valves, lightened rockers, 838cc JE Pistons, chambers reshaped, head skimmed to achieve 12:1 (skinny base gasket and copper head) and squish created (can't remember the figure sorry but it wasn't very tight). Inlet ports opened up and Keihin CR33's fitted. A lot of work in the exhaust ports too. Used Porche timing chain for the primaries which is fantastic quality and low stretch. Barnett race clutch with an extra plate. All the bearings replaced!

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Nice set up.
Tell me more about the porch timing chain thing. Im familiar with the other mods, but not that one.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nice set up.
Tell me more about the porch timing chain thing. Im familiar with the other mods, but not that one.
Actually its not that special but its full solid roller and pre stretched. Its also full side plate. Its the chain used to link the cams (I think 911, would need to dig deep into my note to confirm), we came across some odd lengths so used it with rivet links. Plate thinkness is about the same as Honda. That engine in question was built in 2007/8 and have noticed a few companies selling better than OEM chains, CycleX and Dynoman (I think) which are pre stretched, I haven't used these so cant really comment. Seems to remember a few guys converting to Hyvo chains using a mix of Hondamatic cb750 crank and Goldwing mainshaft much modified.

The primaries were always the weak point in the engine if used in competition

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yeah I have seen the hondamatic swap as well as the Cycle X chains.
I actually have a set of HD chains from cycle city classics. I assume they are the same as the cycle X ones.

Was the porche chain done because that was what was around, or a cost thing, or just because they are stronger?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts