Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
This guy can even write a simple sales description without several spelling mistakes - an he has put several mc's together and got them licensed for the road.... I wonder if he has any watches for sale...

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Sounds like the guy is being pretty straightforward about what he's done and what it would take to get legal. Most people scamming just sell it with a salvage title and don't really divulge what it takes to make it legal.
I don't know what he means by a "blank frame" from ebay. Unless he means a replacement frame..but that should come with a VIN...unless they don't stamp new VIN's on them, only transfer VINs from the replaced frame.
Still...wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
854 Posts
I give it two thumbs down...being that i have worked for a bike shop since i was 16 and never saw a frame swap done to "get one over on a customer". also if it is totaled by insurance i would assume the pictures were probably from before the crash. does anyone else think this guys shouldn't be on two wheels? this is the second bike he has done it to?

Get this instead

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/784487221.html

OH here is a cafe racer...it even says so!!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/784903881.html

·
Registered
699 Posts
you buy that R6, i'll take the motor w/harness and forks+clamps...you can have the rest...LOL

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
where would one get a "blank" frame for such a bike?

I sure as heck have no idea where such an item would come from other than Mr Grinder and maybe Mr Welder too

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
when you buy a frame from a dealer they do not come with numbers...at least they didn't used to. Most insurance companies total bikes these days that have frame damage (hence the salvage on this bike) so it isn't as common a practice as it used to be.

Thumbs up to the seller for being straightforward in the description. Thumbs down to the bike for being garbage.

You know what would be an awesome use for this bike? if you had an fzr400 frame and title laying around you can swap in the mechanicals with very little effort and have a nice sleeper.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i want the motor for the mini sprint car im thinking about buying...and the forks and clip ons for my bobber project!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hey son, I have the original frame that Gambler jigged off to make their 20 something 5/8 outlaw midgets

Can't recall is CK Spurlock himself gave it to me or if John Leonardini did.....

but it's still around and some serious light weight chrome moly good stuff

never had an engine in it and they liked to put liter or larger engines in them

·
Registered
699 Posts
Pops, the midgets im wanting to race use 600cc motors. would you like to sponsor my racing effort? i'll be racing in clarksville a lot if i can find a car!! HackaSmoke racing...damn does that have a ring to it!!! GO-GO could be our crew-cheifess!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

Sounds like the guy is being pretty straightforward about what he's done and what it would take to get legal. Most people scamming just sell it with a salvage title and don't really divulge what it takes to make it legal.
I don't know what he means by a "blank frame" from ebay. Unless he means a replacement frame..but that should come with a VIN...unless they don't stamp new VIN's on them, only transfer VINs from the replaced frame.
Still...wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
JohnnyB
I've seen them advertised on ebay before as I was looking into what it would cost to build a Yamaha R-1 or Kawasaki ZX-10 from the ground up ,but with top of the line components(since most had to be replaced anyway)with a donor engine off a salvage/wrecked bike.

They apparently sell them with the intention of them being used as a basis for a off-road(not street)racing build. They advertise them as having NO V.I.N. #,NO title,only bill of sale even though they are brand new frames from the factory with the factory paperwork/part numbers.

In fact,on ebay I've seen these BRAND NEW frames being offered for HUNDREDS of dollars less than a used/salvage frame with cosmetic damage,but the salvage frames come with a title while the NEW ones don't!

I've seen brand new R6/R1 frames for around $900.00 while most salvage dealers want almost DOUBLE that for a good USED one,even some with SALVAGE titles.

The clean title frames at a salvage yard seem to go for around $300-500 more than one marked salvage. At least that's what I seen on the net.

They know that a bike with a rebuild title is worth many hundreds of dollars less when the person that rebuilds it tries to re-sell the bike,so they can't get as much out of their frames as a result.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
but they check for stolen v.i.n. at tech.

doesn't seem like a deal.

tex

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
oh a 600 air or water cooled will go with no problem

I was sorta toying with the idea of building myself a street legal Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde kinda car out of it

Something that would return 75 mpg with reasonable use but would suck commercial jets out of the sky and ruin miles of asphault when you stomp hard on the go pedal

ok you guys....... tell me more about these new frames which come with no VIN numbers on them.......

seems to me that Federal law says they have to at least have a federally issued MSO number on them unless made in very small quanities by "home builder" types......

·
Registered
326 Posts
This place sells NEW OEM frames.
In the info for the frames they say you have to stamp your old info into the new frames. Don't know if that will fly or not?
http://store.58cycle.com/category_s/148.htm

What would suck about that is you would have to ALREADY have a titled frame!

Well,hell it could be pretty damn hard to find one crashed that either.
A. Wasn't already turned into the insurance company
B. The lender didn't repo it and report it as totaled.

That's just a stupid added expense if you just wanted to build a bike from the ground up with say a donor power plant.

If you buy a junk salvage frame for the title I wouldn't like the thought of having a brand spanking new OEM frame and the title saying it's a rebuild. That would kill the value of the bike no matter how much better it may be than even a nice,stock used example.

I know last year I inquired about a OEM replacement frame for my 2005 H.D. 883 Sportster and they are around $1,600.00 big ones. I didn't even bother to ask if it was a titles frame or a M.S.O. frame. I said to hell with that and bought a after market hard tail Pro-Street frame and I'm in the process of building it right now. BTW it came with a M.S.O..

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
When I worked at the dealership, replacement frames did not have serial numbers. We would have had to stamp the original number into the replacement frame. I believe we were required by the state to destroy the original frame number by cutting through all 17 digits of the number and removing the steering stem which needed to be presented with the replacement frame for a new title. It was such a PIA that we never had a customer want to go though the process.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you know...I wonder if you could title one of these blank frame bikes as a custom build? instead of going the salvage route you could go the route people building harleys from scratch go and end up with a special vin but a clean history.

for what these guys are charging for an oem frame you could probably score a harris magnum frame for just a few bucks more and build yourself a cool little custom motorcycle with a clean history and badass streetfighter looks. Unfortunatly you would have to use a gixxer as a base instead of an r6 but still they are out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts